Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Real ROADKING: Ultra Limited, my first real ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010 | 11:07 AM
scarygt
|
Road Master
Default The Real ROADKING: Ultra Limited, my first real ride

I picked up my new FLHTK on the 15th so that I could drive it over the weekend. Now before I **** off all the roadking guys let me say that I haven't ridden the 2009 and newer roadking classic/standard so my title is based on my 60K miles experience that I put on my 2007 Roadking Classic.

The weather is still kind of crappy here in Dayton Ohio; yesterday it only reached 39 degrees. And when I drove the bike home from the dealer last Friday evening it was only 35. Lets talk about the wind protection and how well the heated grips work. The coldest weather that I’ve ridden the bike in was about 33 degrees yesterday morning and that is probably the coldest that I'd venture out it. The batwing fairing combined with the leg fairings did a great job of blocking the wind. There was a tiny spot at the top of my knees that received a little bit more air than the rest of my body did (but it was tolerable). Now about those heated grips, I wasn’t so sure if they would work all that well or not but man they work great! The heated grips have a 0 – 6 heat range on them and with my winter gloves I never had to set them above 3. On the highest setting you could cook a hot dog on them J!! So the verdict on the heated grips is that they actually work pretty well.

Now on to the riding characteristics of the limited: I did about 250 miles yesterday and covered just about every type of road that you could ride on. This was my first real ride on the 2009 and newer redesigned touring bikes… and man am I blown away. For a massive 940 pound bike it just wants to fly through the turns. Even in the wet and sometimes salty turns I had no problems in the twisties. I felt way more confident in the turns than I ever felt on my 2007 chassis. Due to break in requirements I couldn’t rev the bike past 3500 rpm, but this 103 motor just produces great torque in any gear. 6th gear just chugged along at 2400 at 70 and it seemed like I was only seeing just a tad over 2K at 55. The stock exhaust sounds Ok, but being an ex true duals with thunderheader mufflers kind of guy I’m going to have to get some pipes soon.

As much as I hated covering my new baby with road salt, it was 150% worth all of the **** eating grins that I experienced during the stretch of the day. Monday looks like it will reach mid 40s so I’ll get her dirty one more day.

Any of you touring folks that are wondering if it is worth stepping up from your 2008 and older bikes to the new chassis should just stop wondering and go out and get yourself one; I guarantee that you won’t be sorry with your decision.

Ralph out!

PS: I wanted to post up a picture of the salty limited, but as soon as I clicked the button on my camera the battery died. I’ll get some pics of her after I return from my Monday ride.

Old 01-17-2010 | 11:15 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by scarygt
As much as I hated covering my new baby with road salt....
Congrats on the new bike, and WASH the HECK out of it

Old 01-17-2010 | 11:23 AM
Estil
Road Master

Beautiful bike! Hope to trade up myself, maybe next year. Love the 08, but want the new frame, motor upgrade, etc. Happy trails!

Old 01-17-2010 | 11:31 AM
Robert_W
Tourer

Beautiful bike. S100 does wonders. The 103 engine is awesome. Looking forward to more photos.

Bob.

Old 01-17-2010 | 11:36 AM
racerdj
Club Member

The Ultra is a very awsome bike which I really enjoyed ridding during the dealer demo days!! The only advantage of the RK is the removable front windshield. The only problem I find with the Ultra is choosing the color. Both are awsome.

Old 01-17-2010 | 11:38 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Congrat's on the new Limited. I like those color's! I drooled over the Limited, But decided not to do it just yet. Ride safe

Old 01-17-2010 | 11:48 AM
Scarz
Road Master

As an owner of a very nice Road King Classic, I too would get a Limited tomorrow if my financies would allow it.
No since in telling you to enjoy your ride, cause I know you will.
Congrats.

Old 01-17-2010 | 12:07 PM
PITA
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scarygt
Any of you touring folks that are wondering if it is worth stepping up from your 2008 and older bikes to the new chassis should just stop wondering and go out and get yourself one; I guarantee that you won’t be sorry with your decision.
I'll still wonder, thanks. You '09 guys never talk about the extra 30-40 pounds of the '09s. 'nor will I bother sharing my views on the '09's, that I found to ride much stiffer than my '08 IMO. I didn't buy my harley for its cornering prowess, can't imagine what satisfaction I'd get hauling a 900 pound bike hard through any twisties - esp. not when I have better bikes to do that.

Actually, I'd recommend to anyone thinking of paying for a trade to an '09 - if high speed handling is that important to you - to keep their older bike and use the money you would have spent to buy a used sportbike. I GUARANTEE that you won’t be sorry with your decision.

Old 01-17-2010 | 12:22 PM
nocarb
Road Master

I too was impressed with the difference between my 08 and 2010 handleing.

Old 01-17-2010 | 12:41 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Congrats that bike is a beauty !

Quick Reply: The Real ROADKING: Ultra Limited, my first real ride