Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:10 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Tank Removal Question

The manual outlines a procedure to remove the gas tank. It includes running the motor out of fuel after the fuel pump fuse is removed; the purpose being to eliminate the fuel under pressure. Is that necessary if the bike has been in storage and not run for 2 months? Is there always fuel under pressure no matter how long it has been since the motor was run?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:45 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,846 Posts

I've done it without doing the fuse thing after the bike has been sitting and it was fine with no pressure. I would suggest getting the fuel line crossover quick connect from Herko and installing it while your tank is being taken off and you won't have to worry about it the next time.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:35 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by dawg
I've done it without doing the fuse thing after the bike has been sitting and it was fine with no pressure. I would suggest getting the fuel line crossover quick connect from Herko and installing it while your tank is being taken off and you won't have to worry about it the next time.
I'm removing the tank for a couple of winter projects and decided to install the quick disconnect coupling. I ordered mine directly from the manufacturer. A comapny that I represent is one of their o-ring suppliers. Excellent quality quick disconnect coupling. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just siphon out the gas from the tank, then I pinch off the crossover tube, have a 1/4" rubber tube ready to put on the crossover nipple to get the remaining gas out of the tank. Once that is done, remove all the bolts and console, undo the fuel fitting, and the tank comes off with minimal mess if any at all.

No need to mess with fuses or anything at all.

Steve

Old 01-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Psychosis
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Just be very careful with the main fuel line. If pulled too much it can break at the quick connect at the engine side. The book shows I think but the 90 degree quick connect where it comes out of the tank has a check valve so when you unhook it you lose no gas.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:03 PM
peddler
Club Member

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
No need to mess with fuses or anything at all.

Steve
I think the fuel pump fuse procedure is recommended to cover those instances when someone decides to take the tank off right after riding. Everyone seems to agree that the pressure in the fuel line dissipates over time.

It was my understanding the cross over fuel line had a rigid center tube that could be damaged if pinched. Not your experience????

Old 01-17-2010, 02:51 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No, it's just rubber fuel line..............no rigid center at all.

Steve

Old 01-17-2010, 03:21 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

cross over line will not be under pressure but the line from the tank to the efi will be, easiest thing to do is just hold a rag up there when you disconnect to catch the little initial squirt of fuel. The cross over line has metal tubes from the tank but they are only an inch or so long. Don't try pinching them too close to the tank.