Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swingarm inspections

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 PM
true-track
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swingarm inspections

When's the last time either you or your mechanic inspected your swingarm condition?
For some added swingarm stability especially if you've hit 40,000 miles or more check out our bearing bronze bushings for all years. Your Harley repair manual indicates at 40,000 miles to check the swingarm condition and replace the isolators and thoroughly inspect the steel bearings for wear and tear on the later bikes and the cleve blocks on the earlier bikes 1980-2001. Don't forget to check the condition of the tranny case if the swingarm is apart.
Should you find you are in need of an upgrade or you have noticed that even though you have a True-Track unit on your bike you are starting to feel some movement in the rear - this is a good indication the current condition of the swing arm bearings are worn.
Questions? Give us a call at 818-623-0697
True-Track

Old 01-15-2010, 02:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi from the UK. Had a Trackula kit on my FLHS for 2 years, many thanks!

Old 01-15-2010, 04:02 AM
Klinger
Cruiser

My advice is that you may need to check more than this on your swingarm!

Recently went to fit a new rear tyre and found a full thickness crack about 2/3 of the way around the swing arm on the left side about where the hole for the axle comes through and the nut tightens up. Talk about a shock??!! I immediately wondered what the consequences may have been if it failed on the road somewhere. Made me feel a little bit unwell!

This was on a 2000 model RKC with almost 90,000klms (about 55,000 miles). This is something that should never happen. I asked the question, but no luck with the motor company for a replacement.

Just a tip.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:24 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Klinger

Recently went to fit a new rear tyre and found a full thickness crack about 2/3 of the way around the swing arm on the left side about where the hole for the axle comes through and the nut tightens up. Talk about a shock??!! I immediately wondered what the consequences may have been if it failed on the road somewhere. Made me feel a little bit unwell!

This was on a 2000 model RKC with almost 90,000klms (about 55,000 miles). This is something that should never happen. I asked the question, but no luck with the motor company for a replacement.

Just a tip.
Now THAT'S damn scary. Haven't heard of that one before. Hopefully just an isolated incident.

Have you checked with the Harley salvage outfits? A swing arm from a bike that was in a front end collision would probably be OK.

Good luck,

John

Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Just a tip.
The only time That I have seen what you are saying ...Is when aftermarket lowering kits were added to the bike that relocate where the bottom of the shock bolts up...Did your bike have a lowering kit on it?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:04 PM
true-track
Advanced

Hi grbrown (Graham),
We added a new item to the web page for a worn tranny case- check it out!
True-Track

Old 01-16-2010, 07:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Just a tip.
Klinger,

Good advice, but this is a known problem. There is an article on Hot Bike's website, also HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal has an article.

An upgrade, or solution to your problem, is to fit a post 2002 swingarm and rear wheel. I am actually doing just that as I write! The only problem is that we colonials seem to be dependent on the US trike market to supply the parts! I paid 50 bucks for a 2007 swingarm assembly (including wheel spindle and brake) and another 75 for a complete rear wheel, but shipping to the UK multiplies that a few times.

I have a thread Suspension THUMP where I am reporting on progress. I am also using the opportunity to fit Ohlins rear shocks from Motorcycle Metal.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by true-track
Hi grbrown (Graham),
We added a new item to the web page for a worn tranny case- check it out!
True-Track
That's neat, well done! My bike has around 50k miles up, so hopefully is not in need of any repair at present, but I will check when I get to building the rear end (and the weather warms up a lot here!)

Old 01-17-2010, 05:54 PM
true-track
Advanced

We'll take a look at your thread grbrown- "suspension thump" and follow your progress. Hope the weather warms long enough to get a ride in soon! Stay safe!
True-Track

Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Klinger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
The only time That I have seen what you are saying ...Is when aftermarket lowering kits were added to the bike that relocate where the bottom of the shock bolts up...Did your bike have a lowering kit on it?

Not sure geezer glide. Unfortunately, I don't have a full history of the bike but thinking about the effect of a lowering kit and the place the crack was, that theory would really make sense.

Quick Reply: Swingarm inspections