Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Vented Lowers Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:53 PM
boardy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Vented Lowers Advice

Has anybody bought the non vented lowers? I am looking at getting a set for my 09 RKC but the picture in the catalogue does not show the rear face of the lowers (are they just a shell and then I add the storage boxes?).
What I need to know is, if they are an empty shell, what part do I need to add the glove boxes to them to make them useable storage.
Any help with part numbers (and pics if possible) would be gratefully appreciated.
Regards,
Chris.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boardy
Has anybody bought the non vented lowers? I am looking at getting a set for my 09 RKC but the picture in the catalogue does not show the rear face of the lowers (are they just a shell and then I add the storage boxes?).
What I need to know is, if they are an empty shell, what part do I need to add the glove boxes to them to make them useable storage.
Any help with part numbers (and pics if possible) would be gratefully appreciated.
Regards,
Chris.
What is the color of your bike? I see a lot of complete unvented HD lowers on ebay.

Last edited by shortride; 01-14-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:21 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They all come as a shell you have to buy the storage boxes !!!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a part number of the whole shebang. Lowers, glove boxes, mounts and hardware. They were around 380 to 420 if I recall.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Chris, if you are buying new fairing lowers for a Road King, buying non-vented lowers makes no sense because they are only shells and the price of glove boxes adds about $300 to the cost; vented lowers cost significantly less by comparison because they come assembled with the glove boxes.

You can check-out the prices on HD's website. In the U.S. non-vented lowers list for $624.95 (without glove boxes); vented lowers (that come with glove boxes) list for $649.95.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:16 PM
boardy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, this has cleared things up for me. I dont think I am going to spend the amount of money that they want for the unvented fairings and extra for the boxes.
BTW my bike is black
Regards,
Chris.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unvented with boxes are over 100 less than vented with boxes from HD. I've lost the blodoy part number but it is Kit, Fairing lowers unvented primed. It's in the 2009 accesories catalog. I don't have the part number but bought them 2 months ago. and painted them to match my bike. Got them from a dealer store online.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:51 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite a few delerships offer 20% off....Zanottis and Chicago e.g.

Try Ebay...black might be easy to find.

Get vented....the non vented are too warm in summer.

Originally Posted by boardy
Thanks for all the replies, this has cleared things up for me. I dont think I am going to spend the amount of money that they want for the unvented fairings and extra for the boxes.
BTW my bike is black
Regards,
Chris.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

It only makes sense to buy the non-vented lowers if you get a good deal on them, or if you dont plan on using the glove boxes. By the time you add the glove boxes, the vented ones work out to be less expensive. And they are more functional to boot.

I do think the non-vented ones are slightly better looking, but only by a small small margin. If I were buying new lowers, I would definitely buy the vented ones.

If you are planning on running speakers instead of the glove boxes, then the non-vented ones make more sense.

I bought my lowers used, from another forum member. I got a good deal, which is why I have the non-vented ones. Either way, I would be taking them off in the summer, so the vents are a non-issue for me.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Moog Player
Unvented with boxes are over 100 less than vented with boxes from HD. I've lost the blodoy part number but it is Kit, Fairing lowers unvented primed. It's in the 2009 accesories catalog. I don't have the part number but bought them 2 months ago. and painted them to match my bike. Got them from a dealer store online.
The savings offered for primered non-vented lowers has been eliminated in the 2010 P&A catalog. Primered vented and non-vented are now both $449.95 and the non-vented won't have glove boxes.

Quick Reply: Non Vented Lowers Advice