Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BR Customs Apes are in for the Deluxe (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:56 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pork-Chop
wasn't I the one who told you about BR? lol .... anyway he is great, and he has been doing my bars foe years now.

I think my radius is a bit more open from the bottom
Probably. LOL. ummm...I don't know. I thought I remember looking at those bars when I still had my Cross Bones a couple of years ago (prior to the RG). Honestly, I can't remember who told me. Either way, I'm glad somebody did

Your bars do look a little wider that mine at the base.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by leohd
Phil. looks killer, what size did you go with and does he measure em to the point or where the grips are? thanks for posting that pic, now I don't feel bad after viewing the man cave threads where evrything is like a museum.
That's FUNNY! The positive side of my motor work putting other things on hold is that I've been able to rework the cave some.... like any good spelunker would!

Mine are 17 x 34.

17 is height to the peak, from where the grips actually swoop back down about 2.5~3".

34 is from the center of one grip to the center of the other ~ its about 2" from either end.

They are 1.5" diameter & I had the base made 12" wide, to match the width of the Tach/Speedo housing on the RG ~ at the top of the forks (is that confusing enough?).

After seeing FunkyNova's and questioning him about them, that's what I came up with.

BR has a set of directions for sizing them to fit "you" and "your bike" on his website. He's also got some great "how to" videos on there as well.

Edit: Add pic to compare base width of mine to that of my inspiration.... I know the pic sux, but until I can get the bike out... it iz what it iz.

Last edited by PhilM; 01-14-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Pork-Chop
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil,

So basically your hand position is at 14" correct? can you post a picture from the front?

looking good bro, thanks

Originally Posted by PhilM
That's FUNNY! The positive side of my motor work putting other things on hold is that I've been able to rework the cave some.... like any good spelunker would!

Mine are 17 x 34.

17 is height to the peak, from where the grips actually swoop back down about 2.5~3".

34 is from the center of one grip to the center of the other ~ its about 2" from either end.

They are 1.5" diameter & I had the base made 12" wide, to match the width of the Tach/Speedo housing on the RG ~ at the top of the forks (is that confusing enough?).

After seeing FunkyNova's and questioning him about them, that's what I came up with.

BR has a set of directions for sizing them to fit "you" and "your bike" on his website. He's also got some great "how to" videos on there as well.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:39 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ok Phil and funky nova, how tall are you guys and are your hands above your shoulders? my main worry is I like the tall look but have known friends who got harassed in daytona nad sturgis cause of apes. so far my locals are relaxed for the most part. Thanks

Old 01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
fairplay
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I got tired of the bars on my deluxe so I decided to change things up a bit, went with Bill @ BR Customs AGAIN... he has always made all my bars to perfection and to MY SPECS, and as always he did not disappoint. as you can see quality is second to none
It is always a good choice going tall. looks good

Old 01-14-2010, 05:02 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by leohd
ok Phil and funky nova, how tall are you guys and are your hands above your shoulders? my main worry is I like the tall look but have known friends who got harassed in daytona nad sturgis cause of apes. so far my locals are relaxed for the most part. Thanks
I'm 5'11". My wrists are BELOW my shoulders ~ even with the very low cut Mustang seat for the older Baggers. I had the exact same concern. ABSOLUTELY not an issue on mine!

Phil,

So basically your hand position is at 14" correct? can you post a picture from the front?

looking good bro, thanks
Yep... hands @ 14".

Here are a couple pics, but without tank, seat, & there rest of the bike in place for reference, it's probably difficult to get a reasonable idea of positioning. Again.... lighting sux & not clean, but WTF...

Level, from front:

Same, but closer:

From front right, same height:

Side:

Little further back: (there's the seat & tank on the top shelf... does that help?)

Last edited by PhilM; 01-14-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:16 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Phil,
Clean the GD garage!
GEEZUS!
How do you know where anything is!?

Also...answer your PM's!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Phil,
Clean the GD garage!
GEEZUS!
How do you know where anything is!?

Also...answer your PM's!
That's where I go to hide.... I gotta blend in!

I know precisely where EVERYTHING is.

I (almost) always answer my PMs! You glossed over one option I threw out there.... hahahaha! That was Bobby Mock.

The answer to the (as of yet) unanswered question is that I had referenced a Dealership (forget the name), but since that reference, my source decided he needed to look elsewhere, so scratch that one.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:29 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master

I'm 5'11" as well with a low cut danny gray seat and my arms are straight out. My torso must be shorter than Phils. LOL. My bars measure 17" top of point to bottom of lower bar.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Phil's garage looks great, looks comfortable and has that lived in look too it.

Last edited by leohd; 01-14-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: BR Customs Apes are in for the Deluxe (pics)