Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High millage & Harley's

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 AM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High millage & Harley's

Being this is the "TOURING SECTION" , figured it would be a good place to address this question. We all love Harley or we wouldn't be here. But how many of you have thought about the back end of owning a Harley. "HIGH MILLAGE" . We payed a pretty price for the bike we love. So now have we given it thought as to how long will our investment last. How long does these air cooled engines last ? The bearings are weak on the crank. The cams have no bushing in the cam plate. (metal to metal) . High heat (230 degrees).

How long should we expect our engines to last ? And how many Harley owners have high millage (above 100K ) motorcycles without a rebuild ?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They'll last forever if you do the required maintenance, take care of them and don't abuse them.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never gave it a thought. I have more than enough to concern myself with. I will ride the crap out of it and enjoy every minute of it. When it breaks i will fix it. When it dies i will replace it. Problem solved.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
RodeDawg
Cruiser

I just traded in a 2000 Ultra with 160,000 miles on it and never cracked open the cases. Had the cam bearings replaced under warranty and one stator but that was it.

My '91 FLHTCU is still at home with 200k+ on it. I've been in that motor a couple of times though.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sancho
They'll last forever if you do the required maintenance, take care of them and don't abuse them.
You had me until "don't abuse them" hehe

Old 01-13-2010, 12:03 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One man's abuse is another man's fun, I always say.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:18 PM
never say never
Tourer

ride em, fix em and enjoy them,all you have to do is just sit on a jap tinny piece of chit and you will realize why you like the way the harley iron feels to you.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:22 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ride it when it breaks fix it........My last scooter had 180K on it when i sold it and the guy is still riding it. He brings it to me when he has problems.....but never have been in the bottom of the motor....just cam bearings and tensioners.........

Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Harleys are enginered to be in service twenty years.That's why regular service and cleaning is important to your bike.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Open Road
Road Captain

It's interesting what many consider high mileage. I think the dealerships perpetuate that myth. They consider anything with 15-20k miles on it to be high mileage. I reach that in a year and a half, easily.

A bike with 30k used to be ready for a rebuild back in the 60's (pans and shovels), generally speaking. But the Evos were built to much closer tolerances and that has increased with the Twin Cams. Today's Harley's are capable of well over 100k miles without a major rebuild.

Maintenance at regular intervals (just like with a car or truck) and regular oil changes are the key. JMHO.

Quick Reply: High millage & Harley's