Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's needed to change tour pack to detachable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010 | 06:12 AM
patriotmc
|
Road Captain
Default What's needed to change tour pack to detachable?

I kept the detachable hardware and luggage rack from my 03 RKC. I keep thinking I'll use it on my 07 Ultra to make the tour pack detachable. Other than the hardware, what is envolved?

My service tech said I need to cut the lighting wires and put a plug on to reconnect. I know I'll have to relocate the license plate.

What about the antenna and the speakers?

I tried a search but couldn't find a DIY write up... if anyone can direct me or tell me what is needed, I sure would appreciate it. I've held off on this for 3 years because it sounded complicated/expensive, yet I have the hardware to do it.

Thanks

Old 01-12-2010 | 02:00 PM
patriotmc
|
Road Captain

Anyone converted their Ultra to a Detachable Tour Pack? What is required?

Thanks

Old 01-12-2010 | 02:57 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Old 01-12-2010 | 03:46 PM
Neil
Road Captain

patriotmc,

I am in the process of putting together what I think I will need to make it all work. It all depends on what you want to do. There are many that just do away with the CB antenna. Most end up using a hidden antenna mounted inside the fairing for the AM/FM radio. J&M now has a hidden CB antenna setup. I want to keep the antenna on the rear. With the tour pack mounted I don't mind the whip antennas. My plan is to use the kit for the Classic to make the pack removable. I am going to get most of the parts from the kit for the 09 and newer Ultras to make the CB antenna detachable. I have been able to determine that the lighting is adaptable via the wire harness available for the 09. You will need to cut the harness and install a new plug. The only issue I may run into is I want to try and have a friend make a bracket for the CB antenna that mirrors the one from the AM/FM relocator. We will see how that goes. Good luck.

Neil
RDMC

Old 01-12-2010 | 08:30 PM
patriotmc
|
Road Captain

thanks. So, is the following what is needed?

1. Detachable hardware - brackets and rack (I think I have all this from my RKC detach

2. Cut lighting wires to the tour pack and build quick disconnect connectors. Is this hard, are parts available?

3. Relocate the Radio (don't need the CB). Is there already a quick disconnect from the bike to the tour pack or does this need to be cut and new connectors added?

4. Relocate the license plate... I assume there is a kit for this.

Anything else?

Old 01-12-2010 | 09:05 PM
rainking
Novice

2009 FLHTCU - recently quoted $640 for the kit and $450 labor to install. A little rich for my blood.

Old 01-13-2010 | 01:55 PM
Neil
Road Captain

patriotmc,

Because you have an 07 you will have to approach things the same way I am. If you use the kit that you already have (detachable mounts and rack), you will need to get the AM/FM relocator kit 76326-00A. The other item you will need will be the light harness kit 70113-08. You need to make sure this has the three wires and not the two of the earlier design. This is the harness that you will need to cut and install the different end on. (you will need detuch crippers or something similar) If you don't use your CB at all you can just unplug it from inside the tour pack and coil the wire up under the seat. This is where I am planning on taking peices from the 09 and up kit for the Ultra. It has the cables for the CB antenna to allow for the removal of the tour pack. The bracket for the newer bikes won't work so I need to see if I can get someone to fab up a bracket like the AM/FM bracket, just bent in reverse like a mirror image. I don't plan on needing the the CB with the pack off.

If this doesn't make any sense let me know. Good luck.

Neil
RDMC

Old 01-13-2010 | 05:02 PM
patriotmc
|
Road Captain

Neil, thanks. Do you know if you can pull the CB cable thru the tour pack groment after disconnecting the connector in the tour pack? or do you have to cut the cable to pull it thru?

Also, do the pins for the wiring come with the kit or do those have to be purchased separately?

Old 01-13-2010 | 05:25 PM
Sancho
Road Master

I did this on an '01 Ultra I had. I put a hidden antenna under the fairing. All the wires had disconnect fittings in the tour pak including the radio and cb. Speaker wires had disconnects as well. I just tucked all that wiring under the seat. I also put on a Badlander seat when I would take the tour pak off. Gave the bike a completely diffferen't ride. With that wiring it took about 30 minutes every time I converted it.

Old 01-13-2010 | 05:29 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Temp Cheap not so Easy way (I did this for years):

Open the tourpak
Remove the carpet insert
Detach both antennas and the light plug.
Pull all wires/cables through the grommet holes.
Unhook the speaker connections.
Roll all cables into a circle and place in plastic bag.
Put bag under the seat.

Best more permanent way:

Buy the Ultra's Detach wire kit and antenna relocation kit.

lp

Quick Reply: What's needed to change tour pack to detachable?