Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's needed to change tour pack to detachable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010 | 05:35 PM
patriotmc
|
Road Captain

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think when it gets a little warmer, I'm going to do some experimenting to see what will work. Your comments will help a lot.

Old 01-13-2010 | 08:22 PM
Neil
Road Captain

The pins are included in the light wiring harness. It basically extendeds the wiring and puts a water-tight connection on the end outside the pack. The wire for the CB and be pulled through the grommet, but, you will have to pull up the liner everytime. If you are going to do that you probably won't need to install the wire harness for the lights because you can pull that plug at the same time. I want to make it as stock appearing, reliable, and as quick as possible. I have a quick detach on my lowers for the same reason. They can be taken off with hand tools, but, the kit makes it simple and tool free. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2010 | 08:36 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Great thread and information. Been wondering this same thing.

Thanks guys

Christian
Cleveland, Wisconsin

Old 01-13-2010 | 08:56 PM
patriotmc
|
Road Captain

Neil, just thought of something. One poster said it takes him about 30 minutes to convert. Was that your experience before you did the quick connects? ie, just taking wiring out of the tour pack and putting under the seat? That's a lot of time!

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:40 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by rainking
2009 FLHTCU - recently quoted $640 for the kit and $450 labor to install. A little rich for my blood.
Have to agree, the kit is obnoxiously priced.....

...HD strikes again...

Old 01-13-2010 | 10:01 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

I know my Street Glide is a little different as I don't have a cb wire or antenna to worry about, or have lighting on my tour-pak, but it takes me all of five minutes to install or remove my tour-pak, I move the radio antenna to the tour pak through the grommet inside the tour-pak, install or remove the tour-pak, and I'm done. If you've got rear speakers (which I'm sure you do) that's just one more wire to connect. Not a big deal and it ads a lot of versatility to my ride.

Old 01-14-2010 | 06:15 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rainking
2009 FLHTCU - recently quoted $640 for the kit and $450 labor to install. A little rich for my blood.
Man, That's alot of money to fork over.

Recently asked my indy how much it'd cost me to have chrome forks and oil temp. gauge installed on my '09 Ultra next Spring. Quoted me at $754 OTD. I say Sheeshus, Forget it as I could use that money to splurge on my annual vacation trip up New York's Adirondack Mountains.

Thorey

Old 01-14-2010 | 08:01 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Man, That's alot of money to fork over.

Recently asked my indy how much it'd cost me to have chrome forks and oil temp. gauge installed on my '09 Ultra next Spring. Quoted me at $754 OTD. I say Sheeshus, Forget it as I could use that money to splurge on my annual vacation trip up New York's Adirondack Mountains.

Thorey
You can do the fork change for the cost of the chrome leg kit and your labor of 3 hours. A whole lot less than what he quoted you. Piece of cake.

Old 01-14-2010 | 03:27 PM
Neil
Road Captain

patriotmc,

I have not done the conversion yet. I have been looking at all of the peices that I might need to assemble. I have been trying to figure all of it out. As I stated I want to make the change over as quick and easy as possible; especially while on a trip somewhere. I plan on using all of the HD parts to make sure that things work as planned. I just don't want to have to break out tools to remove the pack or have to remove the liner to do it either. Right now I am going to see what I will need to do to make the bracket foe the CB antenna. I think the biggest cost there will be having whatever I make up chromed. Good luck with whatever you do.

Neil
RDMC

Old 01-15-2010 | 05:40 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by smokindave
You can do the fork change for the cost of the chrome leg kit and your labor of 3 hours. A whole lot less than what he quoted you. Piece of cake.
By any means, I'm not mechanically inclined nor have the tools to work on motorcycles. I know I should have by saving so much $$$...

Thorey

Quick Reply: What's needed to change tour pack to detachable?