Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Paint or Not to Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Is that the '06 deep cobalt blue? That's a great look.
Yes it is Thank You

Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was replaced by the dealer under warranty. When the stock black one came in, I picked it up and took it to my local paint shop and had it painted-didn't have to pay any labor, warranty picked it up.
Local shop couldn't match the pearl exactly, but it's close. No one notices unless I point it out. Difference was $150 versus $435 for the Harley prepainted one. For $300 savings I'm VERY happy with it.

Attached Thumbnails To Paint or Not to Paint?-copy-of-sdc10922.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Taylorized
Yes it is Thank You
Ditto on that...it does look really good. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 PM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought mine on ebay for $115 bucks shipped, had it painted for $200 and then swaped out... got my stock one for sale here for a couple more days then off to ebay... sure seems like over $100 savings is worth it and it matches perfect!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:48 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That blue does look great. You notice more of a change on a bike that is a color other then black.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

PROS for HD: Guaranteed color match.

CONS for HD: (1) Idiot light bezel isn't painted (not even on the $35K CVO bikes) so you live with black plastic or buy chrome cover; (2) no color-matched mirrors (not relevant if you don't have them or plant to have them); (3) no color-match for Hog Tunes tweeter pod (relevant only if you have one now or in future); and, costs more (probably).

HD's painted inner fairing will cost about $450 (from a discount dealer like Zanotti's) and selling the take-off for $125 or so reduces the net cost for comparison purposes to a painted inner by a local shop. Color-match by local shop may or may not be an issue. Many HD paints are available in PPG equivalents so results should be satisfactory.

I have painted fairing mounted mirrors and HT tweeter pod, and the aforementioned idiot light bezel that were done as a bike repaint project.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 AM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure about the cons or pros, all I can tell you is that I had the dealership remove my inner fairing and had their painter paint it to match and it turned out perfect! My bike is Crimson red sunglow, I have no doubts on the match of the paint, I just think that HD thinks they have it locked up in this business, and that a whole lot of money!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:04 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerFactor
Well crap, this forum does it again. I've been on the fence about painting my inner fairing, trying to convince myself that I really don't need to go to the trouble... and now after seeing this newest set of pictures (in above posts), I don't have a choice anymore. Looks great.

Oh, well, now to convince the boss... How many flowers and how much massage time do you guys think equals a color matched inner fairing? Dozen roses and 1 hour? Probably not...
It will probably cost less with a divorce.......

Old 01-12-2010, 05:53 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of the color-matched inner fairings look great. The colors of some can also be overwhelming. I don't think I've seen a 2-tone inner fairing yet.

Last edited by shortride; 01-12-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by bikes
Some of the color-matched inner fairings look great. The colors of some can also be overwhelming. I don't think I've seen a 2-tone inner fairing yet.
I don't know if I'd want to. That might be distracting visually; a lot of color change for a relatively small area. I guess the sense that I've gotten from everyone is this:

1. If you're really **** about preciseness and have the $$ to burn; then go with HD's factory painted inner.

2. If you have a paint shop that you trust for color match and proper prep; then have it done there.

Tough decision. Many thanks to all who responded. This is a great forum for getting feedback!!

Quick Reply: To Paint or Not to Paint?