Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I lower the front of my SG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006 | 02:51 PM
FFeric
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Do I lower the front of my SG?

After reading many posts/replys I know I am not the only guy that is vertically challanged. (5'8). I know I need to change my seat, but I haven't made up my mind what seat to get? I want to take my time and do it right the first time. But I also read since I put a 18in wheel in the front (still have the 16 in the rear till I have the funds) and it raised the front 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.
I read that lowering the front will stop some of that wobbling feeling? I have yet to scrape the floor boards. So with the increase of height with the wheels and lowering of the front end would that just make the bike sit level and bring it back to the original height and not worry about scraping? At some point I will get a different seat to get me flat footed. I think the more i read about the height issue, the worse it gets. lol. Thanks. Eric

Old 07-19-2006 | 02:58 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Default RE: Do I lower the front of my SG?

Start with the seat first, before considering lowering it. Both Corbin and HD have closer reach seats for you to consider. Like you, I'm 5'8" and have a 30" inseam. I went with the Corbin seat, as it was pretty narrow, and allowed my feet to stay flat on the ground. If you going to lower the front, Harley makes a kit to lower the front forks.

ORIGINAL: FFeric

After reading many posts/replys I know I am not the only guy that is vertically challanged. (5'8). I know I need to change my seat, but I haven't made up my mind what seat to get? I want to take my time and do it right the first time. But I also read since I put a 18in wheel in the front (still have the 16 in the rear till I have the funds) and it raised the front 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.
I read that lowering the front will stop some of that wobbling feeling? I have yet to scrape the floor boards. So with the increase of height with the wheels and lowering of the front end would that just make the bike sit level and bring it back to the original height and not worry about scraping? At some point I will get a different seat to get me flat footed. I think the more i read about the height issue, the worse it gets. lol. Thanks. Eric

Old 07-19-2006 | 04:30 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member

lowered mine and hated the ride !!

Old 07-19-2006 | 04:42 PM
manowar
Advanced

d175 what did u lower front or rear? and how much?

fferic i bought hte sundowner seat and im shorter then you and it was no help at all with the seating arrangement if i get some extra cash im going to go with the cc seat that primo recomended the 2 up seat looks very comfortable for a passenger and rider and it lowers u 1 1/2 inches

Old 07-19-2006 | 04:58 PM
nodice
4th Gear

I lowered my SG 1" in the front using the HD kit for it ... Harley did the install and screwed it up the first time - it bottomed out ... so I brought it back and they re-did it and the ride is wonderful.

I am 5'10" and the bike fits me perfectly now ...

If I was your height I would probably start with the seat first ....

Old 07-20-2006 | 01:50 PM
FFeric
|
Outstanding HDF Member

nodice. Do you scrape more now with the front lowered? I haven't scraped yet at stock height. I am assuming that lowering the front (with the back already lowered) that it brings the bike more level?
As far as the seat goes, I am not going to go with the Sundowner. That is the only decision that I made about a seat so far. lol.

Old 07-20-2006 | 06:05 PM
FFeric
|
Outstanding HDF Member

With the SG being lowered in the rear stock, would I be right in assuming that by lowering the front, it would jsut make it level?

Old 07-20-2006 | 08:45 PM
Seavee
Intermediate

Just had mine done today ( Front lowerd 1 inch at the dealership ) The ride is terrable it feels like there is no suspension at all. It rides like a rock at 5miles per hour. slow speed comming to a stop is much better. I would like some more info from Nodice it sounds like i have the same problem. Let me know what the dealership did so i can get mine fixed. Thanks