Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:41 PM
mac0478
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Replacement

As I peruse the touring section of the forums regularly, I do not read many favourable comments regarding the Harmon Kardon systems on the SG, UC EGC etc. Can anyone offer any suggestions of good quality replacements and is there a great deal involved in the removal /installation? Is it just the head unit that offers poor quality sound or the speakers as well?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:58 PM
sharknu
Cruiser
Default My suggestion.

Alpine IDA-X305 HU (If the Ipod is your source of music) I don't even deal with the fumblin CD's anymore!
Hawg Wired Double Shot package which includes:
Hawg Wired PCS1502 Amp
Hawg Wired DX speakers

It plain rocks!

Sharknu

Old 01-11-2010, 05:38 AM
houronron
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Talk with Firecap here on the forum. (Wayne) I bought his ARC mini amp, 6.5" speakers and a Kenwood KDC-X-493 radio. The thing i like about the radio is that it has a USB port in the front of it and down load all my music on a flash drive. I don't listen to the radio part because i can't stand all the talk. The flash drive is alot easier to keep up with and you don't have to worry about scratching it like a cd. The whole package was pretty easy to install and it sounds really good at any speed you might want to ride. wayne can fix you up.

Ronnie

Old 01-11-2010, 06:54 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I've noticed the Harmon Kardon systems for sale. They don't like them but the prices don't reflect it. We gripe because of the price Harley Davidson charges for our goodies and then turn around and ask outrageous prices for the parts we remove that we don't like only because we know someone out there is will to pay.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 AM
pavin
Tourer

my 05 rg radio was having issues,the local hd stealer wanted 500 bucks +labor to have it repaired.my beautiful wife gave me a biketronics jvc radio kit for xmas,install was straight forward,sound is great,couldnt be happier.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:58 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

That's one of the reasons I went for the EG Standard. Plus I didn't really need the tour pak.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:57 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by houronron
Talk with Firecap here on the forum. (Wayne) I bought his ARC mini amp, 6.5" speakers and a Kenwood KDC-X-493 radio. The thing i like about the radio is that it has a USB port in the front of it and down load all my music on a flash drive. I don't listen to the radio part because i can't stand all the talk. The flash drive is alot easier to keep up with and you don't have to worry about scratching it like a cd. The whole package was pretty easy to install and it sounds really good at any speed you might want to ride. wayne can fix you up.

Ronnie
+1 on having a USB port. You can pretty much get any size flash drive these days, and if you load them as .wma files, one can load an enormous amount of songs on it. When stopped, just pull it out and put in the pocket.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by houronron
Talk with Firecap here on the forum. (Wayne) I bought his ARC mini amp, 6.5" speakers and a Kenwood KDC-X-493 radio.
I'm interested. Does the Kenwood support the hand Harley controls? Does any model?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 AM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'm running a kenwood now and I got the kit so my hand controls still.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Stereo Replacement