Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Bike Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07fatboycustom
Question. This may seem dumb but I truely dont know. I had an o7 fatboy, built, and had it over 110 solo and once two up passing two slow moving cars. Got there quick because of the build. Now I have a 2010 roadking and have had it to around 80-85. I have not experienced a wobble. But tell me, what is this brace you speak of? Thanks
Harley fixed it starting with the 09 touring bikes so you shouldn't ever feel it on your bike but on pre-09 bikes it's a real issue.

Lots of braces on the market to make it better but usually at the cost of more vibration. For my 99 I noticed it in the floorboards only. I put a set of Ohlins shocks on and because of the way they are designed they firmed up the back end completely and got rid of the offending vibration to boot.

The Dunlop E3's are the best tires I've ridden on and they really do make a difference. Gone are the grooves and it just rides smoother and tracks straighter.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:35 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
...Lots of braces on the market to make it better but usually at the cost of more vibration. .

Oh, and yes, I almost forgot. What Bob said...more vibration than I cared for.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ride pretty aggressive, but have never experienced this. I keep good tires (Avon Venoms) and keep them properly inflated at all times. I do ride within my skill limit, and don't let my ego do the driving!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:43 PM
mdst
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all I know is that when i got my 07 FLTC it seemed way more squirrely than my 87 FLST ,just figured it was normal ,, but for S & G's bought a throttle up brace ,after install handling difference on off ramps and sweepers was noticeably better, have way more confidence handling twisties than before install

Old 01-10-2010, 06:58 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain

I never experienced the long-sweeper tank-slapper we all fear, but I did find the stock bike very squirrely on rain grooves or in cross winds. Ditched the laced wheels for cast, swapped the stock tires for Metzlers and put on a TWR brace. Suddenly rain grooves are barely perceptible and never a cause for concern. Cross winds are still a problem, but with that big bar mounted fairing, what are you gonna do?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Had my 2010 FLHTCU up to 90 today and it was like it was on rails. It must be an issue with the old frame models...

Last edited by Teardrop; 01-10-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had so much as a hint of a wobble on my 09 RK Police and that includes letting go of the bars for a second or two as a test.

FJRs - an otherwise great bike - are prone to wobble/tank slap at certain speeds so it's not just a Harley issue. A whole lot of factors can go into it.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:10 PM
UltraEd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife and I rode our 08 Ultra to Washington, D.C. last year, 530 miles one-way. Rode 75-80 mph on the interstate with the bike loaded down. Never felt a wobble the entire trip.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:13 PM
CroK
Banned

07fatboycustom, not sure if anyone answered you about what exactly a bagger brace is...

Nothing more than a solid link between the engine and frame. Many brands, just google 'bagger brace' and you'll see some good pics.

The newer models, as some one else said, may have 'cured' the problem. Maybe with better rubber. I know the older bikes had a soft rubber, which over time, can become eaven softer just like the handle bar dampers. This is a cause of some serious wobble, which the braces help.

And again as some one else stated, since they make a more solid connection between the frame and engine, that cirumvents the rubber mount vibration dampening. So, you end up with a bit more vibration, mostly felt at the floor boards. Some notice that more than others, and is usually more acceptable than the fear of what can happen due to the wobble.

Always remain aware about the possibilities of unforeseen (strange word ignore spellin plz) road hazards, and be ready to compensate without losin yer cool. I am often reminded just how quickly a brief moment of inattentiveness can become dangerous...

Last edited by CroK; 01-10-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:35 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
The Dunlop E3's are the best tires I've ridden on and they really do make a difference. Gone are the grooves and it just rides smoother and tracks straighter.
I'll 2nd this statement. Since changing to E3 tires, it rides like a sportsbike (well, as much as it can). It doesn't grab rain grooves anymore, it sticks in the curves better (bike always felt like it wanted to 'slide' out on fast curves with the old tires), and it rides 500% better on wet streets than the old stock Dunlops.

I was a non-beleiver before swapping tires out to try them...and to me, it's the safest "mod" I've done to my bike yet.

Quick Reply: Touring Bike Wobble