Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hillside Build Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Stroken
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
The build results show less than 1hp per cubic inch.This is not typical of a Hillside build.I would be digging for answers.I would start with the tune,exhaust,& then the heads.Did you call Scott??

Yes I talked with Scott and we both thought it should be a little higher in tq and hp.
He is sending me one of his hi flow air filters to have the tuner try.

Unless it has jets or a needle to move/change I know nothing about tuning it so I have to rely on the dealer, they did tell me they had their best man on it 20yr of exp. So I have around $290.00 in the tune so far and to have them re-run/tune it now with the new air filter they said they would charge me the hourly rate.

That’s the problem with a lot of the builds, you can have the best parts and setup and the tuner has you by the *****!!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 369 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroken
He is sending me one of his hi flow air filters to have the tuner try.
Just have your tuner make a run and then remove the air filter and make another run. You will see right away if it is your air filter. But as mentioned before don't get to worried about the numbers. There are variables like humidity that can affect the numbers.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's those gay Rineharts.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Stroken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
It's those gay Rineharts.
Your just jelous.. You even said they souned good (when you were behind me)

Qestion for you guys.
If I get the afr from the run can you tell from it if it is a good tune??

Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

Problem with the AFR trace on a dyno sheet is it only represents WOT and only one cylinder. The WOT part isn't such a big problem because you are chasing a peak number, but the one cylinder part is. If your dyno tech is tuning one cylinder only, then copying that map to the other cylinder, you are not going to get the most out of the build.

So to answer your question, yes some on here could give you a good idea if the tune is out of whack, but there are many other components to the tune that could be holding it up that wouldn't show up.

Zach

Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 PM
1fast2liter
Advanced

with a good 2-1 you could gain at least 8 or more hp..and that or more in torque

Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

I wish you luck, chasing a number is a very expensive past time at best.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Problem with the AFR trace on a dyno sheet is it only represents WOT and only one cylinder. The WOT part isn't such a big problem because you are chasing a peak number, but the one cylinder part is. If your dyno tech is tuning one cylinder only, then copying that map to the other cylinder, you are not going to get the most out of the build.

So to answer your question, yes some on here could give you a good idea if the tune is out of whack, but there are many other components to the tune that could be holding it up that wouldn't show up.

Zach
This is true however if the afr shows the tune to be far too rich or far too lean, then you can be assured that the map being used is leaving alot of power in the engine instead of at the rear wheel. Even from the 1 cyclinder reading you can tell if the tune has alot of room to improve.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
This is true however if the afr shows the tune to be far too rich or far too lean, then you can be assured that the map being used is leaving alot of power in the engine instead of at the rear wheel. Even from the 1 cyclinder reading you can tell if the tune has alot of room to improve.
Yes, but half the tune comes from the timing, not just the AFR.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Yes, but half the tune comes from the timing, not just the AFR.
I absolutely agree however if the AFR is shown to be way off on this 107 build, it could be an explanation for the lower than expected performance numbers. If the AFR looks smooth through the rpms at around 13.2 then I would say he needs to be looking at exhaust, timing or both.

If the AFR is a mess and showing multiple lean and overly rich conditions than I would suggest he simply has the result of a poor tuning effort and should consider starting over, possibly with a different shop.

Quick Reply: Hillside Build Numbers