Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hillside Build Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Stroken
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
I have a theory on that - its not the TBW but the IDS that "robs" power.

IDS bikes have a much higher rotational mass on the rear wheel and that makes Dynojet dynos think that the bike has less power.

People blame the TBW but it was introduced at the same time as the IDS and the TBW gets the blame.

TBW bikes are no slower on the road, its just a dynojet thing.

What do you think??
That is a good thought, I had thought about that myself and was more on the lines of the ids would effect the inatial jump on the chart till the rubber cushions become compressed after hitting the gas.
Also from what I have read is that the tbw bikes like mine do not open the butterfly all the way untill a certan rpm to help prevent detonation even if you have it wacked all the way open.

Oh yea I think it will be a blast where it is at, but was just expecting a little more. The tq and hp on the print out looks long and smooth
I have not even rode it yet, still at the HD shop where I had it tuned.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

James,
It doesn't matter either way.
I'm STILL gonna bust your *** with my HQ 107!

Originally Posted by Stroken
That is a good thought, I had thought about that myself and was more on the lines of the ids would effect the inatial jump on the chart till the rubber cushions become compressed after hitting the gas.
Also from what I have read is that the tbw bikes like mine do not open the butterfly all the way untill a certan rpm to help prevent detonation even if you have it wacked all the way open.

Oh yea I think it will be a blast where it is at, but was just expecting a little more. The tq and hp on the print out looks long and smooth
I have not even rode it yet, still at the HD shop where I had it tuned.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
I have a theory on that - its not the TBW but the IDS that "robs" power.

IDS bikes have a much higher rotational mass on the rear wheel and that makes Dynojet dynos think that the bike has less power.

People blame the TBW but it was introduced at the same time as the IDS and the TBW gets the blame.

TBW bikes are no slower on the road, its just a dynojet thing.

What do you think??
I think you may be on to something here...an old school indy that really knows his stuff told me to take the IDS off my bike and it would pull a lot harder/stronger...I won't do it because I really like the comfort on my bike...

Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KaponeWKYA
I think you may be on to something here...an old school indy that really knows his stuff told me to take the IDS off my bike and it would pull a lot harder/stronger...I won't do it because I really like the comfort on my bike...
You'd likely feel a harder hit when banging the gears, but that wheel is not gonna rotate any slower because of the rubber cushions. I just don't see the physics that could explain a loss in power. Engine rotates at a certain speed, the wheel has to follow.

Don't forget, that rubber cushion is also easing the shock on your crank. That is a good thing!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Stroken
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
James,
It doesn't matter either way.
I'm STILL gonna bust your *** with my HQ 107!

Is that rite?? You forget that I am a little lighter than you and I am also younger so these two together should make up for a couple hp or so..

Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
You'd likely feel a harder hit when banging the gears, but that wheel is not gonna rotate any slower because of the rubber cushions. I just don't see the physics that could explain a loss in power. Engine rotates at a certain speed, the wheel has to follow.

Don't forget, that rubber cushion is also easing the shock on your crank. That is a good thing!

I agree with you, I will not take it off!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

The build results show less than 1hp per cubic inch.This is not typical of a Hillside build.I would be digging for answers.I would start with the tune,exhaust,& then the heads.Did you call Scott??

Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I just don't see the physics that could explain a loss in power. Engine rotates at a certain speed, the wheel has to follow.

I am not suggesting anyone removes their IDS. The IDS in no way slows the bike down out on the road. It just creates error on the dynojet dyno.

Remember dyno dynamics dynomometers (dynojet) DO NOT directly measure engine power. They measure how fast the engine accelerates the dynojet flywheel and calculate the power from that.

The problem is that the engine is not just accelerating the dynojet flywheel, it is accelerating the back wheel, IDS, belt, gearbox, primary, flywheels and rotating engine parts.

The dynojet dyno assumes all bikes have the same rotational inertia, which is a very rough assumption.

A bike with a smaller and lighter back wheel will appear to have more power on a dynojet dyno. Similarly a bike with heavier flywheels and a chain primary will appear to have less power than a bike with light flywheels and a belt primary. Even a worn tyre will make a difference.

Wanna know more:
http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

Dynojet dynos are a cheap and nasty way of measuring power. They were never designed to be able to compare power outputs between bikes, there are just too many variables.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Yeah, I'd think the additional weight of the 180 rear tire and the wider heavier Rim would have more effect than the 5 or so rubber cushions in the IDS.

Also, many folks have IDS's on 07s. We should ask them how their Dyno runs were effected if any.

My vote is for the ECM/TBW being the major difference...

lp

Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

It's no secret that the 6 speed sucks up power, or that a larger, heavier wheel will reduce power on a dyno.

Still, I think his numbers are low.

Quick Reply: Hillside Build Numbers