Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way to Make Transmission Oil Drain Less Messy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM
deeve
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way to Make Transmission Oil Drain Less Messy?

Drained my transmission oil last night on the side-stand, like the manual recommends. Didn't think too much about it, but with it leaned over the oil ran down the cross member and ended up leaving a good amount trapped on it. I like things to be clean under there, so I spent quite a bit of time trying to wipe up all the oil off the top of the crossmember. I could probably use the lift to make the motorcycle level so most of it goes straight down, but then the lift would probably get in the way of my drain pan.

Any tips or suggestions for the next time?

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited by deeve; 01-10-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Changed notification
Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Jack and small pan to capture oil.

I drain mine with the bike on the jack just like you see in my sig.

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 01-10-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Craig4711a
Cruiser

same problem here with my 09 road glide. I just did the oil changes, mopped up as good as I could, then took the bike down to the quarter car wash, and used the wand underneath, and it cleaned up pretty good. I haven't gotten my lift yet, and like you, hope with the bike straight, the oil will drain straight down and not hit the cross-member.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 AM
deeve
Advanced

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic

Jack and small pan to capture oil.

I drain mine with the bike on the jack just like you see in my sig.
It's hard to tell from the pic, but isn't the lift right under the drain hole?

Dave

Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by deeve
Drained my transmission oil last night on the side-stand, like the manual recommends. Didn't think too much about it, but with it leaned over the oil ran down the cross member and ended up leaving a good amount trapped on it. I like things to be clean under there, so I spent quite a bit of time trying to wipe up all the oil off the top of the crossmember. I could probably use the lift to make the motorcycle level so most of it goes straight down, but then the lift would probably get in the way of my drain pan.

Any tips or suggestions for the next time?

Thanks!
Dave
Where in the manual does it say to drain the fluid with it on the side stand?

That puts the drain plug on the high side and WILL NOT give you a complete fluid drain!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:31 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deeve
It's hard to tell from the pic, but isn't the lift right under the drain hole?

Dave
There's alot of space under there to get to the transmission drain bolt. I drain the transmission and the primary like this. I use a low-sided tupperware basin that fits perfectly in the alotted space and capture oil like this. Piece of cake. Matter of fact you'll find yourself looking for drain pans in your everyday life, thinking....."hmmmmm I could use that next time"......LOL!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I think you've confused the note at the beginning of the transmission lubricant section. It simply states to check the fluid while on the jiffy stand, but it doesn't indicate to change while on the jiffy stand. As doc said, upright will drain more out.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the same jack into a small bucket that cost a $1 and fits inside the jack frame. Not one drop anywhere but inside the bucket. Drain bucket into 6gal gas can and when it's full off to walmart.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:44 AM
deeve
Advanced

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Where in the manual does it say to drain the fluid with it on the side stand?

That puts the drain plug on the high side and WILL NOT give you a complete fluid drain!
Good point...it doesn't say to do that. Hmmm 1k oil change and replaced with Syn3. I wonder if I should drain it out again with it upright or if it will be ok with what little was left in there?

Dave

Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I have been thinking about making something to help guys that don't have a lift table or jack. Something that slips under the bike and just holds it upright for oil change maintenance. It would be under the frame and not interfere with either drain plug. Does anyone think this has possibilities? When I didn't have a jack or table I would just put a block of wood on the jiffy stand but, it still has to lean to one side. Of course you could also use the center stands available for bikes that mount permanently.

One other possibility would be a catch system (something like a funnel) with a drain line to a pan that would still work with a jack under it.

Quick Reply: Way to Make Transmission Oil Drain Less Messy?