Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way to Make Transmission Oil Drain Less Messy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:47 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by deeve
Good point...it doesn't say to do that. Hmmm 1k oil change and replaced with Syn3. I wonder if I should drain it out again with it upright or if it will be ok with what little was left in there?

Dave
Just to bust on ya, it's syn3....that in and of itself would make me drain it back out and put in some gear lube like Redline, Mobil 1 or Amsoil To answer your question, don't worry about the little bit that got left in there this time.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:49 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
Well I have been thinking about making something to help guys that don't have a lift table or jack. Something that slips under the bike and just holds it upright for oil change maintenance. It would be under the frame and not interfere with either drain plug. Does anyone think this has possibilities? When I didn't have a jack or table I would just put a block of wood on the jiffy stand but, it still has to lean to one side. Of course you could also use the center stands available for bikes that mount permanently.

One other possibility would be a catch system (something like a funnel) with a drain line to a pan that would still work with a jack under it.
2 12" long 4x6's work great, put one under the right side ot he frame, tilt the bike up onto it and slip the other under the left side with your foot. Very solid. Position them where they will be out of the way for what your doing at the time!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Just to bust on ya, it's syn3....that in and of itself would make me drain it back out and put in some gear lube like Redline, Mobil 1 or Amsoil To answer your question, don't worry about the little bit that got left in there this time.
Yep, but at least make sure its not overfilled!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

2 x 4 under side stand....doesn't bring the bike to 100% vertical but close enough to drain oil/tranny lube. Low profile oil drain pan from Pep Boys. Pour used oil/gear oil back into empty new oil containers and drop off at Pep Boys for recycling...free of charge. No this is not a Pep Boys commercial. Just works for me.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

OR ............you can just buy a $79 RED Sears jack and be able to participate in the jack threads with 100% confidence. Even better, get the Harbor Freight one and REALLY take an *** whippin in the debate.

LOL!!!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:53 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Spoken like a true (ex) HD employee.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
2 12" long 4x6's work great, put one under the right side ot he frame, tilt the bike up onto it and slip the other under the left side with your foot. Very solid. Position them where they will be out of the way for what your doing at the time!
Doc, I understand what you are saying but, it seems like they would interfere with getting at the drain bolts and limit putting a pan underneath.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:57 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Spoken like a true (ex) HD employee.
What soos, you gonna rat me out....is that where the (ex) comes from?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you guys miss the snitches thread?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

OK, OK, lets be politically correct here. HD employee on hiatus.

Nah, not to worry bud, not my style. There is only one snitch that I know of in HDF...

Last edited by soos; 01-10-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Way to Make Transmission Oil Drain Less Messy?