Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricor Suspension Review – Long

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:36 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc: Maybe you can answer a question I have about the new Ricor shocks.

With the Ohlins shocks, because of the way they are designed, the shocks help firm up the back end to eliminate any rear steer from flex of the swingarm fork. The Ohlins have firm shock mounts whereas stock shock mounts have quite a bit of rubber so they flex with the swingarm.

Are the Ricor shocks more similar to the Ohlins in this regard or more similar to the stock shocks?

Boomer

Old 01-10-2010, 02:07 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice write-up.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:35 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
Marc: Maybe you can answer a question I have about the new Ricor shocks.

With the Ohlins shocks, because of the way they are designed, the shocks help firm up the back end to eliminate any rear steer from flex of the swingarm fork. The Ohlins have firm shock mounts whereas stock shock mounts have quite a bit of rubber so they flex with the swingarm.

Are the Ricor shocks more similar to the Ohlins in this regard or more similar to the stock shocks?

Boomer
On the particular set they gave me the lower mount is an all metal ball joint for alignment purposes while the top joint is a combination of metal with a rubber cushion. I'm not sure what their intentions are for the production units. Having rubber in the mounting system does help the ride by absorbing some of the road shock.

Marc

Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the write up, Marc. I've got a set of Intiminators. I've just been too lazy to install them. I'm very interested in seeing how the Ricor shocks compare to the Ohlins. Did Ricor give you any idea when they might get those shocks into production?

Old 01-10-2010, 04:36 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marcparnes
On the particular set they gave me the lower mount is an all metal ball joint for alignment purposes while the top joint is a combination of metal with a rubber cushion. I'm not sure what their intentions are for the production units. Having rubber in the mounting system does help the ride by absorbing some of the road shock.

Marc
Thanks Marc!

I like the ball joint idea. No worries on getting the shock mounted with a bind. I think I like the Ohlins shocks better in this case though; at least for pre-09 touring bikes. The extra bracing really makes a difference.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by max56
Did Ricor give you any idea when they might get those shocks into production?
I asked him that and he said in two weeks.

Marc

Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Marc...did they give you a ballpark price range?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:24 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by max56
Marc...did they give you a ballpark price range?
No, I didn't want to mention it for fear he'd ask me for money

Marc

Old 01-10-2010, 06:37 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For those who might be interested, this is an interesting thread re: the RICOR shocks on a Dyna, by an owner who has the triple adjustable Ohlins.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post6075700

Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 PM
karter
Advanced

Hi all ,I'm new to this forum ,just purchased an 09 Road King , but I've been a part of the Sportster forum for a while . I installed the Ricor Intiminators earlier this year in my 04 Sportster along with a set of Ohlin's 36 series shocks . The ride and handling of the bike was completely transformed . My only other post on this forum was in the suspension section and I said the same thing . The first mod that I do will be to add the Ricors to the Road Kings forks , then the stage 1 or Harley tax if you will . The Ricors are an excellent product at a reasonable price and even a better value if you not afraid to take on the mechanical work yourself . Do yourselves a favor and checkout what people are saying about Ricor on the Sportster forum , yes their $300 plus the install but your 60 year old fork design will appreciate the help and you'll enjoy a transformed ride .

Quick Reply: Ricor Suspension Review – Long