Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 03:11 AM
rickswinford
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problems please help

I have a 91 ultra classic. Yesterday I was riding and suddenly my stereo quit so I watched the volt meter doing back flips. bike was still running of for about 5 mintues. Basically the volt meter pegged to less then 8n volts then the bike started running like crap losing voltage. Limoed it home in first gear. Now that battery has been charged, I turn on the ignision the right turn signal stays on solid very bright. Turn on the left turn and it works but the right flashed very lightly in an alternating pattern. Try starting the bike and it clicks once then everything goes dead for about a minute.

I checked the ground on the starter bolt it appears good. I followed the hot wire that feeds the fairing and turn signals and dont see anything that jumps out as shorting out.

dOES ANYONE HAVE SOME INSIGHT IN THIS MATTER. PLEASE HELP

Old 07-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Electrical problems please help

You may have toasted the voltage regulator or the diode assy if that model has a diode assy? Does the stereo work with the engine off? And what reading do you see on the volt meter with the engine off? The volt meter should show volts in the battery steady with the engine off, maybe down from 12 volts but still should be steady. If in fact the regulator did toast, and you sent AC into a DC system then the chances that the stereo maybe bad are up their! But just the same check your accessory or radio fuse and see if it my have blown to save the radio!

Old 07-19-2006, 02:45 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

check the grounding strap on the rear mount by the trans. Sometimes the bolt loosens and causes a problem. Looking at the simple stuff first.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

When was the last time you had your battery and alternator tested? Sounds to me like either your alternator is not charging the battery, or the battery is not holding the charge. Or combination of both. Sounds more like a battery problem to me.

ORIGINAL: rickswinford

I have a 91 ultra classic. Yesterday I was riding and suddenly my stereo quit so I watched the volt meter doing back flips. bike was still running of for about 5 mintues. Basically the volt meter pegged to less then 8n volts then the bike started running like crap losing voltage. Limoed it home in first gear. Now that battery has been charged, I turn on the ignision the right turn signal stays on solid very bright. Turn on the left turn and it works but the right flashed very lightly in an alternating pattern. Try starting the bike and it clicks once then everything goes dead for about a minute.

I checked the ground on the starter bolt it appears good. I followed the hot wire that feeds the fairing and turn signals and dont see anything that jumps out as shorting out.

dOES ANYONE HAVE SOME INSIGHT IN THIS MATTER. PLEASE HELP

Old 07-19-2006, 03:06 PM
rickswinford
Stage III

The voltage meter is steady when the bike is off. I did blow a fuse behind the fairing for the radio. The steel braided ground strap under the bike is filthy with oil and road crap. I think I will get a new ground strap and start there. Thank you for your help. I will update if and when its fixed.

Any additional thoughts would be appriciated.

Rick

Old 07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
rickswinford
Stage III

its Fixed!!!!!
I replaced the braided ground strap under the transmission. The old strap had oil, dirst broken wires it was ugly. The short also caused the Turn signal module to go out. When I inspected it I founf 2 spots that were bubbled up under the insulation. The caused the right turn signal to always be on bright and solid it didnt blink.

The braided ground strap was $7 bucks and the module was $138 at a local HD Dealer.

Thanks for your assistance here.

Rick