Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome front end kit, install myself vs dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:08 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
So a HD Harley Trained and HD certified mechanic that has been working at a dealership for 45 years than opens his own shop is no longer certified as my friend Louis had done?
I thought the same thing about a friend of mine that used to work at a Harley dealership. I'll have to contact him and let him know he is no longer certified.

But, in all fairness to Doc, he may be right about trademark infringement if they advertise. How about it you lawyers out there, can you answer the question?

Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I did my own fork change. Not too difficult, and a good learning experience. That being said, at the price they quoted, I might consider letting them do it. Put the SE fork oil in when you replace the oil. Chrome forks are faster.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 AM
chadalack3
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think I'll try it. Thanks to everyone for your advise, I will post pictures when its complete, thanks again!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 AM
gabulldog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a guy gets his certification working at a HD dealership and moves to a indy shop I don't think they (HD) can keep him from "Hanging" his paperwork on the wall. I see a lot of guys working in indy shops that do this. I have also seen indy shops advertise that they can do HD warrenty work, is this not possible?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:12 AM
chadalack3
Novice

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
I did my own fork change. Not too difficult, and a good learning experience. That being said, at the price they quoted, I might consider letting them do it. Put the SE fork oil in when you replace the oil. Chrome forks are faster.
I thought the price was resonable too, but if I pay the Stealership I wont get the personal satisfaction, and the right to tell my buddy's "Oh yeah, I did it myself!"

Old 01-09-2010, 09:28 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
So a HD Harley Trained and HD certified mechanic that has been working at a dealership for 45 years than opens his own shop is no longer certified as my friend Louis had done?
He is, OBVIOUSLY, still factory trained but no longer can advertise HD CERTIFIED, they have a legal dept that goes after that, and other infringments, every day of the week.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:10 AM
cmtbasser
Tourer
Default forks

I am going to take my lowers off this afternoon I will let you know how it goes! I do have the HD manual and TW along with my mad skills as a mechanic I aint skeered

Old 01-09-2010, 11:15 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 01-09-2010, 11:53 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to pick up my bike today I had the chrome front end installed by the dealer I was quoted a price of 120.00 to assemble the fork cartiridges and 250.00 if they did the entire job so it was a ground ball ..I do my own services so I let them do some work and I keep a good relationship with the service dept...IM happy and the dealer is happy..

Old 01-10-2010, 04:03 PM
cmtbasser
Tourer
Default good call

Took mine apart yesterday with your quote in mind, I think they treated you well. I had some trouble with the 6mm bolt in the bottom because mine wouldn't reach through the fork end. I cut off a longer metric one out of one of those combo sets and braised into a 1/4 drive socket then used adapters to get to my 1/2 impact on low buzzed them right out. Now for cleaning and re-assembly. Two - three cans of Brake Clean should do !

Quick Reply: Chrome front end kit, install myself vs dealership