Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another arguement for the fairing lowers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005 | 11:39 AM
FLHTCU Rob
|
Cruiser
Default Another arguement for the fairing lowers

Yup, it's summer time. Yup, it's getting hotter all over most of the country. Yup, them fairing lowers DO blow alot of hot air onto, up, and around you. We've already talked about that. Now, I have another point to make about leaving them on the bike during the summer. RAIN.[:'(]

As I was leaving work last night, it started raining cats and dogs. I had just enough time to put my rain gear on before I got more than slightly damp. As I was letting the Ultra warm up, it started coming DOWN. I knew from looking at the radar on my laptop as I was getting ready to leave work that I would get wet on the way home, but it rained ALL the way home (about thirty miles), and it got heavy at times. Now, to my point. When I got home, my boots, socks, and pants cuffs were DRY. Not a drop! Oh, yeah, the rain gear I use I "borrowed" from work. It's not made for riding, but for walking, so when riding it tends to hike up above my ankles a good bit. I could not believe that my feet and all were dry! Even my hands were dry (I love that batwing)!

So, since I'm likely to get caught in the rain a good bit (even thought I DO NOT live anywhere near Seattle), the fairing lowers will stay on year round. I don't mind getting wet while riding. Most days that's the only bath I'll get[8D] (j/k). I ride rain or shine, hot or cold, and I now have a bike that makes it even MORE enjoyable to ride in less than perfect weather! Fairing lowers rule!

Old 05-25-2005 | 12:25 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Another arguement for the fairing lowers

I never take mine off. As for rain my experience is above 70 the water goes right over the top doesnt even spot my glasses

Old 05-25-2005 | 02:59 PM
k23rd
Advanced

Being that My FLHTCUI is new to me, I will be putting mine on again after I get different highway pegs that can be used with the lowers (Thanks Homer).

Always thought the bike looked top heavy without them anyway.

Has anyone had experience with the aftermarket vents that can be added to pre 05 lowers?

Old 05-25-2005 | 05:05 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

K32,

Look at the short or long angled footpeg brackets from Harley. I have the short ones on my glide and they fit really well around my lowers. The only time I took mine off was when I lowered my fron end 1 1/4 in and put a fat boy front fender on. Fender rubbed my lowers so I had to make new lower brackets (clamps) and move them back and out. Got them back on where they are staying.

I rode with a guy a couple of weeks ago who had the vents from eglidegoodies.com and he loved them. Look pretty easty to put on.

Terry

Old 05-26-2005 | 12:41 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

my mom said a little water never hurt anyone!!

Old 05-26-2005 | 08:56 AM
dc1450
Road Master

Terry,

I'm sure that you know that the faring lowers are designed to channel air toward the cylinders to aid in cooling. The bike actually runs cooler with the lowers on even if the rider doesn't.
That being said, those faring vents look like they would interup the air flow directed at the cylinders when you need it most, when it's hot.
I don't know, it looks like a good idea for the rider but not the bike?

DC

Old 05-27-2005 | 12:41 AM
Toytech
Tourer

I put mine back on the bike. Just plain feels better. I did the test. Used my pyrometer and tested cylinder temps. the rear cylinder does run hotter with the lowers on. My almost scientific method showed a 40deg difference HOTTER with the lowers on.

Old 05-27-2005 | 01:03 AM
Markcuda
Banned

I saw them vents that you put into the lowers and if I ain't misstaken, they were about $275.00, if not more.
Ouch.
I ride with mine year round.

Old 05-27-2005 | 12:13 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member

K23

Check out the pegs that attach to the floorboards. I think Kuryakyn makes them.

Old 05-29-2005 | 01:30 PM
k23rd
Advanced

Thanks Terry, I will look into the Vents after I replace my Pegs.

Quick Reply: Another arguement for the fairing lowers