Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about a factory Ultra Classic tour pak

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question about a factory Ultra Classic tour pak

How are the hinges and latches fastened to a factory Ultra Classic tour pak? Once removed, can new hardware be installed? If a tour pak needs to be re-painted to match another color, would it be advisable to remove hinges, latches, lights and any other hardware? How much of a job is that?

Last edited by shortride; 01-07-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 PM
CherryHog
Road Master
Location: west of the west side of Indy, many miles from nowhere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just check mu '05 UC. The latches are held in with Torx screws. The hinges are attached with rivets. Not sure how replacements are supplied for re-attachment. I've always preferred taking hardware off when painting, though with the rivet's maybe it would be better to mask over.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would replace the stock hinges with the upgraded ones. Nice improvement when completed.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had two Ultra tour paks repainted. On both I've totally disassembled the tour paks' hardware.

The hinges are blind rivets and easily drilled out. Replacing the strap hinges with the chrome hinges HD introduced that install with screws is a major cosmetic improvement (IMO).

The latch has two parts. The part attached to the lid is attached with blind rivets; the part that attaches to the tp bottom uses screws.

Blind rivets require a special tool that few of us would have in the tool box. I tried using very small screws/nuts to attach the latch part to the lid, and the nuts hit the top edge of the bottom of the tour pak. So, I had a tech at my dealership use the dealership's service department blind rivet tool to install them.

I also removed the Ultra light bar on both occasions to paint the light bar to color-match the tour pak. It's not a difficult job to remove; just tedious because HD uses silicone to seal around the light housing cut-outs. Used a hair dryer to soften/loosen the silicone then scraped the silicone out to free the light bar and remove it. There are some nuts that also secure the light bar to the tour pak that are very easy to remove--removing the silicone is the pita part of the job.

If you are repainting a tour pak that has pin stripes, the pin stripes must be completely removed (sanded off) or they will be visible through the paint.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 01-07-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
I've had two Ultra tour paks repainted. On both I've totally disassembled the tour paks' hardware.

The hinges are blind rivets and easily drilled out. Replacing the strap hinges with the chrome hinges HD introduced that install with screws is a major cosmetic improvement (IMO).

The latch has two parts. The part attached to the lid is attached with blind rivets; the part that attaches to the tp bottom uses screws.

Blind rivets require a special tool that few of us would have in the tool box. I tried using very small screws/nuts to attach the latch part to the lid, and the nuts hit the top edge of the bottom of the tour pak. So, I had a tech at my dealership use the dealership's service department blind rivet tool to install them.

I also removed the Ultra light bar on both occasions to paint the light bar to color-match the tour pak. It's not a difficult job to remove; just tedious because HD uses silicone to seal around the light housing cut-outs. Used a hair dryer to soften/loosen the silicone then scraped the silicone out to free the light bar and remove it. There are some nuts that also secure the light bar to the tour pak that are very easy to remove--removing the silicone is the pita part of the job.

If you are repainting a tour pak that has pin stripes, the pin stripes must be completely removed (sanded off) or they will be visible through the paint.

Carl
Carl is exactly correct i just did it last month. You can use small screws to replace the rivets. i just put the rubber seal around them and they do not tear up the tour pak.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:52 PM
bfrank
Tourer

Originally Posted by Our07Ultra
I would replace the stock hinges with the upgraded ones. Nice improvement when completed.
I've seen a couple bikes with the upgraded ones. They are NICE! Those are one of those things that HD should have just put on there to begin with. Jackasses!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Pic of the hardware and light bar removed:

http://

I bought the tp lid and bottom brand new from separate sources at great prices; hence the mismatched colors

This an "after" shot with the tp on the bike:

If you repaint the lid, you will probably want a new insert for it. HD has several and I chose the one used on the 2010 CVO Ultra:

Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

new style hinges

Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bfrank
I've seen a couple bikes with the upgraded ones. They are NICE! Those are one of those things that HD should have just put on there to begin with. Jackasses!
Well Said

Old 01-09-2010, 05:53 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman

Blind rivets require a special tool that few of us would have in the tool box.

Carl
Can't the latch be left where it is and just paint over the outside of the blind rivets?

Quick Reply: Question about a factory Ultra Classic tour pak