Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fork oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:58 PM
harley#1
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool fork oil

Hey guys. changing out my stock front springs on my 09 classic to progressive rate. how much oil in each tube and what kind. thanks.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:08 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the shop manual you need the proper gauge to set the level.

They are on ebay for about $30, I am gonna buy one when I change the oil at the next big service.

You need the shop manual, it describes how to set the level correctly.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by harley#1
Hey guys. changing out my stock front springs on my 09 classic to progressive rate. how much oil in each tube and what kind. thanks.
Use the search mode, type in fork oil, and about a gazillion matches will appear and the answer will also.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are changing internals of a fork, there should be no oil left in there when you put them back together. My 08 sg manual says 10.8 ounces. There should be no need to check the level if you are starting from empty?

I put the SE heavy in mine when I did chrome lowers. A good bit stiffer, but it handles so much better now, especially in the corners and under braking.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 AM
fatbob
Tourer

crackofdawn,
I have the SE heavy oil in my forks also, are your forks ALOT stiffer with this oil? Mine seem so much firmer/harder, don't know if I like it. They seem to stiff now.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fatbob
crackofdawn,
I have the SE heavy oil in my forks also, are your forks ALOT stiffer with this oil? Mine seem so much firmer/harder, don't know if I like it. They seem to stiff now.
Funny you should ask that, because when I took the first spin, I thought, wow, this thing is rough! Then I thought, wow, it also really handles better.

Since I changed my forks in late fall, I wanted to give myself some more miles on it before I decided if I would change back or not. We will see.

But to honestly answer your question, Are the forks ALOT stiffer with SE heavy? Yes.

It is surprising that one step up on thickness was that drastic. I would think you would have to ask for something to make it that stiff. Again, the handling is so much better in the corners and braking, it is going to be a tough decision for me.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:18 PM
fatbob
Tourer

Is the SE heavy only one step heavier than stock? The heavy seems to be alot harder riding than the stock fluid. Does anyone know what weight oil the heavy is, I'm thinking of going one or two grades lower or something in between the two oils.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 PM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fatbob
Is the SE heavy only one step heavier than stock? The heavy seems to be alot harder riding than the stock fluid. Does anyone know what weight oil the heavy is, I'm thinking of going one or two grades lower or something in between the two oils.
From what they had at the shop, yes, there were 3 levels. And I was told the medium is what comes in them.

The last time I happen to be looking at non HD fork oil from another name brand, there were bottles that were 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 15 weight. I don't know if that is the ranges out there for forks or what.

I just checked my SE Heavy bottle, and as Im sure you know, the weight is not listed.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

If I'm not mistaken...there are 4 different wts that H-D offers...5,10,15,20 wt.
My understanding is 5wt comes in them from showa
The SE is a 15wt. and the SE racing is the 20wt.
I would speculate that the Road kings without all the additional weight on the forks might be happier with the 10wt better over the 15wt.
The fairing models might prefer the 15 wt. or the belray 20 wt. which some of the members have worked with...

if the front end still feels firm then you might have to much fluid in them...remove all the fluid and measure it and look at your manual and pour the correct amount in...

Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 AM
harley#1
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking of amsoil but you guys bring up interesting alternates especially the weight. Maybe i'll call one stop moto where i bought them and get thier opinion.