Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detachable tour pac on a 08 ultra classic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Just wanted to thank Carl for listing the parts and respective numbers for this mod. I really appreciate it. I've always just coiled up the wires and tucked them nicely under the seat but I'm going to do it RIGHT and make quick disconnects in an attempt to preserve the integrity of my wiring when I take the bike to the Streetglide look. Also would like to than bdp for his contribution as well.

Thanks.
Darren, you're welcome. Hope you will do a write-up with pics suitable for a "sticky" on the project. Even if it's not a sticky, it can be bookmarked for future reference.

Carl

Old 01-16-2010, 05:26 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Just wanted to thank Carl for listing the parts and respective numbers for this mod. I really appreciate it. I've always just coiled up the wires and tucked them nicely under the seat but I'm going to do it RIGHT and make quick disconnects in an attempt to preserve the integrity of my wiring when I take the bike to the Streetglide look. Also would like to than bdp for his contribution as well.

Thanks.
Hey Darren, I can post some pictures of mine when I get back home on Monday.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:55 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks again guys.

Just going over this in my head before I headout to the dealership for the necessary connectors, I'll need (2) 6-ways both male and female and 12 little pins total to make the necessary connections for both sides? Bdp, you mention a 3-way connector as well, what connector and wires on the bike did this involve if I may ask?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Darren, bdp is (likely) referring to the three-wire Multilock connector used for the tour pak light wiring. I'm heading out for a ride now, but when you are at the dealership, you can check the Touring model parts book for your bike. The part nos. will be shown for the tour pak lights and the main wiring harness "tour pak" connector.

HD also has an accessory harness they introduced last year in the P&A book for making the tp on the EG Classic detachable which does what you want: provides essentially an extension cord to plug between the current tp's wiring connector and the bike's connector. IIRC, it's about $15.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:16 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks Carl, enjoy your ride and ride safe! It's raining cats and dogs over here!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:21 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Darren, bdp is (likely) referring to the three-wire Multilock connector used for the tour pak light wiring. I'm heading out for a ride now, but when you are at the dealership, you can check the Touring model parts book for your bike. The part nos. will be shown for the tour pak lights and the main wiring harness "tour pak" connector.

HD also has an accessory harness they introduced last year in the P&A book for making the tp on the EG Classic detachable which does what you want: provides essentially an extension cord to plug between the current tp's wiring connector and the bike's connector. IIRC, it's about $15.
do you have the part #?

Old 01-16-2010, 07:39 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
do you have the part #?
I've seen it in the P&A book, but can't find it on HD's website. I'll be heading out to the dealership soon, I'll post when I get back with the number.

NEVERMIND: Found it: 70113-08

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 01-16-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:00 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

what does that part do specifically?

Old 01-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

That wire harness puts a weather tight plug on the outside of the tour pack to make removal easy. If you use that you will not need to buy any plugs/pins etc... The pic in the parts book shows two wires, but, the same part number is used in the kit for the Ultra 09 and up. My guess is they have changed it to three wires for the brake lights on the Ultra.

Neil
RDMC

Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Neil
That wire harness puts a weather tight plug on the outside of the tour pack to make removal easy. If you use that you will not need to buy any plugs/pins etc... The pic in the parts book shows two wires, but, the same part number is used in the kit for the Ultra 09 and up. My guess is they have changed it to three wires for the brake lights on the Ultra.

Neil
RDMC
So with that kit, you can unplug the TP without removing the liner? I'm thinking of eliminating the CB & radio antenna's with fairing mounted antenna's. Then this, and the speakers, would be the only connections? Am I right?

Quick Reply: detachable tour pac on a 08 ultra classic?