Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats wrong with chrome on Harley custom wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 AM
BOBSFLHX
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong with chrome on Harley custom wheels?

I have been looking to buy a set of Harley custom shop wheels for my 08 flhx but I have been seeing more and more issues with their chrome peeling,flaking,pitting on almost all the wheels they sell and I dont want to buy a set and then 1-2 years later they look like crap and at the prices they charge, anybody here have any issues with theirs?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSFLHX
I have been looking to buy a set of Harley custom shop wheels for my 08 flhx but I have been seeing more and more issues with their chrome peeling,flaking,pitting on almost all the wheels they sell and I dont want to buy a set and then 1-2 years later they look like crap and at the prices they charge, anybody here have any issues with theirs?
The wheels are cast, that's the first prob.
Secondly, show chrome is triple plated.
Production chrome is double plated.
The missing process is the copper.

Never used the HD wheels, so I can't say I have any issues.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:29 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain

When I bought my 07, I wanted chromed wheels. I liked the look of the stock wheels, so I had a choice of sending out the stock wheels and having them chromed or buying the HD chrome. My dealer gave me the trade in price (retail on the stock wheels), so it was close to a wash as far a price. I went with the HD wheels so that I wouldn't have to send out my wheels and I had heard that many of the aftermarket chrome wasn't all that great.

Three years later, my front wheel is still perfect, but I do have some peeling on the rear which is less visible than the front. I'd suggest that in addition to the feedback you get here on the HD chrome, you also narrow down to a couple of wheel mfrs that make models that you like, then ask for feedback on them as well. Also check to see if their wheels are showroom quality.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had it explained that it's more an issue of the base metal quality and how it was prepped, and not the chrome.....They also suggested to NEVER use amonia based washes or cleaners on chromed alum parts because it would cause pitting and peeling if it were to find the slightest place to penitrate to the alum.

I've also seen chrome peel off stainless....It seems chrome lives longest on plain old steel.

You might wanna consider sealed chrome spoked steel wheels or polished alum for longivity......I have a one-off set of billet alum chrome wheels that are starting to pit....these things were made by the best of the best and were top $$.....I don't blame the craftsman, just the materials.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
drbillk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interestingly, I used my stock Harley wheels (2004 Ultra) and sent them to ChromePros. They removed the peripheral ribbing that I didn't like, chromed them, and sent them back. 5 years later, look the same as when I got them. Of course, YMMV.

http://chromeprosplating.com/

Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 PM
hog hauler
Intermediate
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by patriotmc
When I bought my 07, I wanted chromed wheels. I liked the look of the stock wheels, so I had a choice of sending out the stock wheels and having them chromed or buying the HD chrome. My dealer gave me the trade in price (retail on the stock wheels), so it was close to a wash as far a price. I went with the HD wheels so that I wouldn't have to send out my wheels and I had heard that many of the aftermarket chrome wasn't all that great.

Three years later, my front wheel is still perfect, but I do have some peeling on the rear which is less visible than the front. I'd suggest that in addition to the feedback you get here on the HD chrome, you also narrow down to a couple of wheel mfrs that make models that you like, then ask for feedback on them as well. Also check to see if their wheels are showroom quality.
I have the same problem with my 08 ultra only on the rear wheel.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:17 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i've had the chrome 6-spoke harley wheels for 6 years now, and haven't had an issue. i ride mine in the winter (which up here in michigan means salt on the roads) but just make sure to rinse them off when done. Give them a good polish a few times a year, and have had great luck with them. Not only that, but got both front and rear for what i could have gotten just 1 PM wheel for.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oinker02
I've also seen chrome peel off stainless....It seems chrome lives longest on plain old steel.
Can't chrome stainless.
Won't stick.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 AM
BOBSFLHX
Advanced

Im Leaning towards buying the 9 spokes already chromed but I also like the Agitator black with contrast chrome for the front and going with a fat boy rear with the center powdercoated black and the edges polished to a chrome look so its something that can be maintained over the years,but I check hog pros every month hoping for a monthly special under 1200.00 but thats a long shot the stock s/g wheels imo are just plan ugly but they still make the bike roll and thats the most important Thanks for all the input.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:49 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Can't chrome stainless.
Won't stick.
Yep, that's what I explained to my buddy when the chrome peeled off his backrest brackets on his honda VXT, or VTX, or whatever it is.