Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hillside Cycle/Woods 103" project

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
Wow! I can't believe how upset everyone got on this post. Hell, there are posts everyday suggesting stupid things and outright wrong recommendations. This exhaust thing is a good one. Get this, "a 2 into one exhaust isn't always the best." Heresy you say, you all read everyday that a Fat Cat is the only way to go. Usually a 2 into 1 is best for low end and mid range. Going drag racing dual straights will get that top end. Beyond that, a lot of guys don't like the asthetics of a 2 ito 1. The exhaust really only moves the peak power around to different r.p.m.s. and no exhaust will make a difference even close to good heads and cams with a mediocre exhaust. I won't dignify the comparison of 255 cams to well modded heads and decent cams. Remember what "Tater Salad" said about arguing with stupid people. To paraphrase it was something like: You ain't gonna win and they have way more experience. Well back to "internet wrenching."
not everyone was upset. I think there was a little misunderstanding early on, but that worked itself out.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM
B-1B_Guy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and for the advice. I'll post numbers after I get the new heads/cams back on and get a dynotune.

I know lots of folks like the 2 into 1 pipes. I ran a SuperTrapp 2/1 on my stage 3 Heritage and it made great power. I'm just not crazy about the look of the 2 into 1 on a bagger. I chose the SuperTrapp true duals because I like the look and I believe in their products. JMO

Anyhow, thanks again to all.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

B-1, looking forward to hearing how your project progresses.

I suggest that as the project moves forward, you start a new thread for significant developments and in the new thread provide a link to the previous thread(s). It makes it much easier for non-subscribers to follow the project than if you add to this original thread.

Also, for those of us like me who aren't familiar with the particulars of Hillside's "Stage III" head work, some particulars of the build would be helpful; e.g. intake and exhaust valve size, static compression, chamber cc size, etc.

And, as always, take some pictures of the heads, etc.--we do love pictures.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 AM
tbrenan
Road Captain

Am I missing something here, a forum member lists his up coming mods, asks for tips, insights and ends up getting insulted----for me the "decent" reply would be---I hope your mods work out--end of reply.
I may not agree with his changes---but if I had nothing CONSTRUCTIVE to add i would not reply.

I know the snow came early to the Northeast----but it's to soon for snotty posts--wait until March.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Well isn't this thread a pleasant start to the New Year. Sounds like a few folks already have cabin fever.

My recommendation is to follow Scott's advice at Hillside. You absolutely will not be disappointed and this Spring's riding will likely be very painful due to the facial cramps caused by the ear-to-ear grin that'll be stuck on your face from riding the new engine build.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by B-1B_Guy
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and for the advice. I'll post numbers after I get the new heads/cams back on and get a dynotune.

I know lots of folks like the 2 into 1 pipes. I ran a SuperTrapp 2/1 on my stage 3 Heritage and it made great power. I'm just not crazy about the look of the 2 into 1 on a bagger. I chose the SuperTrapp true duals because I like the look and I believe in their products. JMO

Anyhow, thanks again to all.
You could always go with a D&D Boss Fat Cat + a Ghost pipe. You'll get your Bagger 2:2 look AND get to "eat the other guy's lunch".
Check out a few pics here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...host-pipe.html

Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,102 Likes on 22,327 Posts

Anyone that generally knows anything about motorcycles will always tell you that your biggest HP and TQ gains will and do come primarily through head work first, then followed by the rest; cams, pipes, etc. This would be called a Stage 3.
At least that's the way it's always been said from where I've went to school.
Good choice in cams too. Woods cams kick serious butt.
Ride on B-1B.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 PM
roadroids
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My current build, as you see below, is a 103 that uses a Wood 7h and Hillside stage III heads with some tinkering done. I added ceramic coating, an HPI throttle body, Wood valve springs and offset rocker arm supports for a number of reasons when I was trying to get it to run the way I wanted. Each of these additions made a small difference. Be prepared because your engine will have definite valve train noise. The engine runs really well and not too hot thanks to the Jagg and the ceramic coating. You will probably be really happy when you give it a big twist to pass. The torque just kicks in as you wind it up and it is a blast. At least mine is. Some might say I chased performance with lots of parts. I say look at my smile.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

iam not a wrench i pay to have my work done but i did do some serious reserch and i came up with this combo. and most will not agree but i ride my bike everyday and it screams the way i wanted it to. i already knew what i wanted as far as heads go i bought SE heads and i also bought SE forged pistons and there adjustables along with MCR. as far as cams go from what i read here i never heard of the SE259e cams cuz my dealer was trying to sell me 255s so i called the best tuner here where i live and the first thing out his mouth when we started talking about cams was the 259e. he told me they were designed for efi harleys keep in mind i didnt know **** about any of this . long story short i took his advice got my bike yesterday they put a map on my bike till i brake it in (on the rich side).
but with the way it runs now this thing is fast threw the entire power band the torgue this bike has is unreal to me. iam not saying nothing bad about the 255s or anything else . just telling you what i found and it works well next week the dyno and i will post the results even if alot of u guys say the numbers arnt that great to me it feels like a rocket. just my 2 cents later.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Thumbs up

Wow, lots of attitude & personalities in this thread.Here is my .02 ;As stated before headwork is probably the single most important thing that can be done to the twin cam motor.With the addition of the head work & cam with comp to match ,you will definitely see improvements.Klassic does make some valid points concerning the tuning device being used, as well as,the pipes being used.I don't think either will help you gain much,& in fact you might be leaving some on the table.Last but not least,doing all these changes & not getting the bike dyno tuned is kind of defeating the purpose.Klassic made some valid points,but his delivery was kind of abrasive.What puzzles me about you Klassic is your running these same SE 255 cams in your build.These cams ,for certain, run out of legs very early.Will he gain by doing the head work, sure he will if he pays close attention to other details,like comp matching the cam!!! You have picked a good man to do the job,Scott & the Hillside team can definitely do the work, & get it done right!! I've seen some of their builds, featuring his headwork, produce strong numbers!!!

Last edited by arealinvestor; 01-07-2010 at 05:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Hillside Cycle/Woods 103" project