Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i am so pissed + a pcv question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:36 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default i am so pissed + a pcv question....

i am pissed. was dropping my bike off today (dealer has sunday service drop off) to get 2 new tires (front tire recall), 10k, + a few other things done. pretty cold here (for houston) and got leathers on, etc. and the bike wouldn't start. dead/weak battery. could not believe it. 3rd harley and 1st time ever had a bad battery. hooked up the hd charger hoping it would fire off and i could still make it to dealer. of course, once i ran out of time and read the instructions i saw where it will not allow it enough power to start. guess thats why its a trickle type charger. oh well. DUH!!!
i pulled out the battery, attached the charger harness (so i can plug in easily to avoid this b/s next time) and plugged it in. says about 16 hours to get 80% charge.
question #1--should i charge and reinstall? or replace? only about 15 months old and guess betweeen the cold weather and not riding in about a month (shi**y, rainy weather here) it drained down.
question #2-- i have a pcv. do i need to reinstall map? or just reinstall battery and all cables, button everything up, and ride.

as always, i value all the imput from you guys. thanks from a pissed off road glider...(ii AM getting over it though, the texans won today!!!)

Old 01-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This wouldn't have happenned if the tender was on your bike during storage.
(I know, you already knew that). Hindsite is 20/20. LOL

Your map should be unaffected and your battery should be fine after charging.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:45 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd replace the battery. It's generally a good practice to replace them every two years or so. I ride all year long so I don't usually use my battery tender (at least once a week). It would probably be better if I did, but I just didn't get into the habit. If your battery is sulfated, it's unlikely that it will improve. If you don't ride regularly, your next battery will last longer with the tender on it.
Any of the Power Commanders (Such as III, or V) have hard memory that's not impacted by a power loss so your tune or map is not compromised with your battery being disconnected or dead. You shouldn't have any problems.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomark
I'd replace the battery. It's generally a good practice to replace them every two years or so. I ride all year long so I don't usually use my battery tender (at least once a week). It would probably be better if I did, but I just didn't get into the habit. If your battery is sulfated, it's unlikely that it will improve. If you don't ride regularly, your next battery will last longer with the tender on it.
Any of the Power Commanders (Such as III, or V) have hard memory that's not impacted by a power loss so your tune or map is not compromised with your battery being disconnected or dead. You shouldn't have any problems.
When I pull my bike in the garage after riding, the first thing I do after cleaning the bugs off, I plug the Battery Tender in. Never had a dead battery problem...knock on wood..lol

Never heard of changing a battery every two year's???

Old 01-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd replace the battery
It's not much older than a year (15 months).
I'd have to at least give it a chance before forking over $100.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:03 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Battery should last for five years with no problem if you take care of it. Changing every two years is a waste of money. But thats just my opinion.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Boo2you
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe I would replace the battery. I have never changed one in just two years or heard of anyone else doing it unless they just have a bad battery. Battery tenders are good things to have if you don't ride very often. I generally ride mine weekly even when the weather is cold. Sometimes I just cruise around the neighborhood a few minutes to charge the battery.
Your PCV is not dependent on your bike battery to maintain your map.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Been using battery tenders since I started riding never had a battery fail yet traded in my 02 UC battery was 5 years old and still running strong...

Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Once you get it charged hook it up to a battery tester and see if it's OK. If you don't have a tester take it to a Battery shop or the HD dealer and have them test it. Most places will do it for free. I bought one at Harbor Freight a few years ago for $20.00 and I'm surprised how often I use it.

Your PC-V will be fine. No remapping necessary.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,353 Likes on 22,641 Posts

[QUOTE=Ronp42;6042427]When I pull my bike in the garage after riding, the first thing I do after cleaning the bugs off, I plug the Battery Tender in. Never had a dead battery problem...knock on wood..lol

+1 Same here, bike on tender year round if it's at home it's on the tender, 24/7 365.

Quick Reply: i am so pissed + a pcv question....