Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender tip running light on streetglide to brake light

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 AM
lawnmower man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender tip running light on streetglide to brake light

Buddy of mine just bought an 08 sg, bought the brake module to turn running lights to brake. Dealer said it would also turn fender tip running light to brake also, but didn't. Tried to do a search but couldn't find info. I know it can be done as I have seen it before, do you have to splice into anything or is it a different module?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

The dealer was wrong. The LED in the rear fender fascia is wired to the tour pak wiring harness, but uses only a ground wire and run light wire. Your buddy can move the run light wire in the LED harness to the brake light slot in the connector to be energized by the tour pak's brake light circuit, and converet the LED from a run light to a brake light.

HD also sells a replacement LED that is wired as a run light and brake light so that the LED functions as a run light and brake light.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:19 PM
lawnmower man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, I'll forward the info, I new it had to be something simple.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 PM
KAH24DupontChevy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fender Tip Light is a Good Idea IMHO,...

Originally Posted by lawnmower man
Buddy of mine just bought an 08 sg, bought the brake module to turn running lights to brake. Dealer said it would also turn fender tip running light to brake also, but didn't. Tried to do a search but couldn't find info. I know it can be done as I have seen it before, do you have to splice into anything or is it a different module?
On any bike, the more rear brake light you can have is a good idea.

I have the module to turn the fender tip light into a rear light, and it makes a difference as the LEDs light up bright red when you get on the brakes. I have a '10 and the turn signal lights and fender light makes a difference--the more lights on the rear the better!

Karl

Old 01-03-2010, 10:35 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The dealer was wrong. The LED in the rear fender fascia is wired to the tour pak wiring harness, but uses only a ground wire and run light wire. Your buddy can move the run light wire in the LED harness to the brake light slot in the connector to be energized by the tour pak's brake light circuit, and converet the LED from a run light to a brake light.

HD also sells a replacement LED that is wired as a run light and brake light so that the LED functions as a run light and brake light.
Correct me if I'm wrong here as I'm a little confused about part of the question. But I've had this installed on my Street Glide, and originally it didn't come with a tour-pak, so there's no way that anything could have been wired to it. Now I do have the tour-pak, and I've also got the brakelight/conversion in the lower fascia. It wasn't meant to operate as turn signal lights if that's your question. Not saying it can't be done, but that's not what it's marketed for.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

jeff, to clarify my earlier post, the wiring diagrams in the HD Service manual for pre-'10 bikes shows a "tour pak" connector. It's a three wire connector that has a ground wire, run light wire, and brake light wire. On an Ultra Classic (and pre-'06 EG Classics), that connector is used to provide the ground, run, and brake circuits for the tour pak lighting. When non-Street Glide bikes add side marker lights/Ultra light bar lighting to their tour paks, that "tour pak" connector is used to provide the electrical connection to the tour pak.

On Street Glides, HD used the "tour pak" connector to provide ground and run light wires for the rear fender fascia LED. And when the run/brake light LED accessory is installed on a SG, that "tour pak" connector is used to provide the electrical connection for the LED.

Since the "tour pak" connector is being used for the LED on Street Glides, folks who want to add tour paks with side marker lights/Ultra light bars to their Street Glides have a wiring issue since the "tour pak" connector is already being used by the LED. If a tour pak with no lights is used, obviously there is no tour pak wiring issue.

Carl

Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I added the brake/running light replacement for my fender tip light on my Ultra. The light looks and mounts the same as the original and plugs into the same socket as the original, which is behind the tail light. The socket is already wired for brake lights. The stock light just doesn't use that part of the socket.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by jberg
I added the brake/running light replacement for my fender tip light on my Ultra. The light looks and mounts the same as the original and plugs into the same socket as the original, which is behind the tail light. The socket is already wired for brake lights. The stock light just doesn't use that part of the socket.
The socket you used is also the socket used for the HD chrome fender extension/tri-bar light accessory. Unfortunately, that socket is used for the license plate LED's in the SG turn signal bar. So, to add tour pak side marker lights/Ultra light bar on an SG a pigtail for the bike's tour pak harness needs to be added, the license plate LED wiring needs to spliced (which is how my bike is wired), or the tour pak's harness connector needs to be changed to a Deutsch connector and connected to the Accessory connector under the seat. None of these alternatives is difficult and the parts are readily available from HD for adding side marker lights/Ultra light bar to an SG with lighted tour pak.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
jeff, to clarify my earlier post, the wiring diagrams in the HD Service manual for pre-'10 bikes shows a "tour pak" connector. It's a three wire connector that has a ground wire, run light wire, and brake light wire. On an Ultra Classic (and pre-'06 EG Classics), that connector is used to provide the ground, run, and brake circuits for the tour pak lighting. When non-Street Glide bikes add side marker lights/Ultra light bar lighting to their tour paks, that "tour pak" connector is used to provide the electrical connection to the tour pak.

On Street Glides, HD used the "tour pak" connector to provide ground and run light wires for the rear fender fascia LED. And when the run/brake light LED accessory is installed on a SG, that "tour pak" connector is used to provide the electrical connection for the LED.

Since the "tour pak" connector is being used for the LED on Street Glides, folks who want to add tour paks with side marker lights/Ultra light bars to their Street Glides have a wiring issue since the "tour pak" connector is already being used by the LED. If a tour pak with no lights is used, obviously there is no tour pak wiring issue.

Carl
Thanks for clearing that up as I was a little confused.