Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 AM
oscarg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103 starting problems

When I had my 103 built the dealer told me I didn't need a compression release. But every time I start my bike it really labors. I am worried about how reliable it will be when it warms up or if my battery is just a little low. I don't want to be stranded some where. I remenber reading on a thread about screaming eagle compensators as a fix. Are they exspensive. Are they hard to install ??? I don't want to spend the money on haveing to install compression releases now. Any ideas??

Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this probably doesn't help, but I've had the 103 for 30,000 miles so far and no problems. I don't have compression releases installed. It always seems to start easily. I might see if the dealer has another reason for your issue.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tell us a little more about what your engine build is - cams, high compression pistons, head work . . .

I experience minor problems with my 95 cu inch Softail but I'm running 10.5:1 compression for starters - and no compression release.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Whatyardwork
Advanced

The starter may just not have the sack to turn it over.Ive read where some have solved this by going to a starter off a 110".

Have you seen these?

http://www.choppersurplus.com/np/ele...ssrelease.html

Old 01-03-2010, 10:24 AM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had the same kit installed on mine. Had the same issue and install the ACR's and no more problems.

They are expensive to install. Your other option is the manual ones.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 AM
oscarg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by davessworks
Tell us a little more about what your engine build is - cams, high compression pistons, head work . . .

I experience minor problems with my 95 cu inch Softail but I'm running 10.5:1 compression for starters - and no compression release.
The standard 103 stage 2kit se255 cams and flat head pistons

Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 AM
oscarg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PTAG
I just had the same kit installed on mine. Had the same issue and install the ACR's and no more problems.

They are expensive to install. Your other option is the manual ones.
I don't think the manuals will be much cheaper to install both need the heads r&r to have machine work done if you don't mind what did yours vast you ??

Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 AM
oscarg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Whatyardwork
The starter may just not have the sack to turn it over.Ive read where some have solved this by going to a starter off a 110".

Have you seen these?

http://www.choppersurplus.com/np/ele...ssrelease.html
I looked at your link those releases don't work on twin cams

Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 AM
mhud
Road Captain

I had the same build done last spring, the SE 103 kit with 255s and I had occasional hot start issues last summer; sometimes kicking back. This is due to the 255 cams I am told as they take significant more cranking compression. I had another dyno done using my SERT by a more experienced tuner and the bike starts much better.

Another fix I read about here that makes a big difference is when starting when the bike is hot - Hit the starter as soon as you turn the ignition, do not wait for the fuel pump light to go off. I've been doing this for months and it really works well.

I still have a rare hard start so I am considering the SE compensator addition. It's about $180 from Zanotti's and about one hour install vs about $600 for a new starter. Do a search on the SE compensator you will find some good info.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
richnakol
Cruiser

here to tell you some dealers know what they r doing on these builds, some dont. I havent had one problem and neither has my step dad.

Quick Reply: 103 starting problems