Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same build and had the same starting problems which just got worse the hotter out it got. I ended up having ACRs installed and have had no more problems. Fires right up. They should be part of the OE kit IMO.

Marc

Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ACRs are great - (have them stock on the Limited). If I had a do-over on my Fatboy - and they'd been available - I'd put them in.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:16 PM
oscarg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by davessworks
ACRs are great - (have them stock on the Limited). If I had a do-over on my Fatboy - and they'd been available - I'd put them in.
Can anyone tell me what the dealers are getting to install them???

Old 01-04-2010, 07:27 AM
paco ritter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

do the SE compensator, that'll cure your starting problems. I have an '07 UltraClassic with a 103ci, SE255 cams, Rush mufflers and Fulsac TrueDuels with a PCIII on my bike. Had starting issues every minute after the 103ci engine. Finally dealer installed the SE compensator, problems went away instantly. Since the SE Compensator install, my starter kick back or grinding problem that was constant before, has happened maybe 3 times in probably a thousand starts. No BS, just fact....PACO

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

I also ended up having to buy a SE HD starter, as mine developed occasional severe impact hammering sounds from the bendix drive on start-up, and it would even do this with the comp rel. pushed down. I have't done enough running since then to really say if it is cured or not. The only thing left for my bike is the SE compensator install job. Sure am getting tired of spending money on this bike for **** that should have been covered when I did the innitial SE II bore kit.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 AM
onionfmr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Skinny Waters
Novice

I had the dealer install an 103 stage II kit prior to picking up the bike. Experienced laboured starts from the beginning, especially when the bike was hot. Had several fail to start occurrences, a couple of strandings while riding and killed a starter.
Tried all the starting suggestions posted on this forum, all to no avail.
Bike into the dealer numerous times for system checks. They ended up replacing my heads with stock 103 tri-glide heads which are fitted for the ACR's and installed automatic compression releases. Dealer also had to change my wiring harness to be compatible with the new compression releases. All work preformed under warranty. Since then no issues and all is good.
From the info that I have been able to gather: 1) not all HD 103's have this issue and the degree of starting problems varies, 2) Compression Releases are the only true fix, other remedies may work for a time and for people with less of an issue but the starting system is still under stress and a failure may be waiting to happen.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Default Ditto...

Originally Posted by Skinny Waters
From the info that I have been able to gather: 1) not all HD 103's have this issue and the degree of starting problems varies, 2) Compression Releases are the only true fix, other remedies may work for a time and for people with less of an issue but the starting system is still under stress and a failure may be waiting to happen.
There are numerous posts on this issue. It does not appear on all builds but... while they are doing it, it is cheaper to do at that time. I had Manual Compression release added. Call dealers in your area to see what they will charge. over the winter months sometimes during these economic times they run specials. Compare apples to apples and make sure you know the complete OTD price for the same fix. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 PM
LVdennis
Intermediate

Three starters and two starter clutches later I have compression releases. That was in conjuction with the last starter and starter clutch install. Pretty pricey though.
Good Luck

Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Fitter64
Cruiser

I have 5k on the same build with no releases. power com. III and someone that knows how to TUNE properly. No hard,hot,cold, wet ,sluggish, laboring starts. It starts everytime. I did put releases on my 120" build. That was a must. tune, tune, tune.

Quick Reply: 103 starting problems