Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory seat messed up my paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
did anyone take to HD dealer and see if its warranty ? my rear fender under seat is really scuffed up and paint is chipped. go to wait to spring to bring to dealer.. to much snow here.
yeah, good luck with that. i would be very surprised if any dealer covered that under warranty. no matter what seat you go with, you are going to get some paint scuffing.

Originally Posted by patsfan
Thats what I did except I velcroed the felt to the bottom of the pass pillion. If you take your time to cut it out and double the felt, that pillion wont leave a mark.
yeah, just don't ever get a grain of sand up in there. it'll stick in the felt and tear the crap outta your paint. for an example of this, look under a bra sometime (no, not hers, the one on the car/tank)

Last edited by skratch; 01-04-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:29 PM
DougM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with a vivid black Street Bob from the poorly designed MoCo pillion. I took it to the dealer and they did a pretty good job of buffing it out for me. It had gotten a little too much into the paint to take it all out.

I had the same problem you describe on my '09 RG when I changed from the stock seat to a Mustang one. My RG is also vivid black. I used M-Ron glass with a cotton T-shirt followed up with a microfiber cloth and got it back close to 100% For what it's worth, the M-Ron does a great job at getting rid of any swirl marks on black paint. It also worked great to remove a scuff on the bottom of my saddlebag after I rubbed it against the wall. I thought it was going to be a disaster for sure but I got it out with the the M-Ron.

http://www.californiacustom.com/mron_glass.html

Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

For me on my Vivid Black SG, I used rubbing compound followed by polishing compound on my dual action buffer at low speed. Took all the scratches out. THEN, I ordered some 3M clear Bra material and cut out pieces of it to apply to the paint where I know it's going to rub (just like HD does on all the SE models - or at least 3 of my friends with Ultra SE 110's do). Problem fixed and SOLVED for the future.

Last edited by NAUIdvr1; 01-04-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
jdbush23
Cruiser

Thanks for allt he insight. I talked to the dealer today and not covered as warrenty, they said there detail guy can look at it but i have seen his detail work on used bike on the floor, no thanks. I am going to take it when the weather gets better to a local auto body shop and have him buff it out and going to go with a slim two up seat so i don't have to worry about this everytime i use my tall boy seat for me and OL when we ride. As for the stock seat, it will never see my bike again!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Your paint shop will probably have to re-shoot the fender to get it looking perfect. I've seen bikes with less than 500 miles on them where the stock seat wore through the paint on the rear fender. You might get by with overspraying the fender and then clear coating it.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbush23
Thanks for allt he insight. I talked to the dealer today and not covered as warrenty, they said there detail guy can look at it but i have seen his detail work on used bike on the floor, no thanks. I am going to take it when the weather gets better to a local auto body shop and have him buff it out and going to go with a slim two up seat so i don't have to worry about this everytime i use my tall boy seat for me and OL when we ride. As for the stock seat, it will never see my bike again!!!
i'm not following here, if you are gonna cover it with a 'slim two up seat', then why go to all the trouble to have it buffed out again? and i'm quite sure that the slim seat will have it's own points where it'll scuff.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine ain't scuffed, it just has "character".

If you're looking at my scuffs, you're too close to my bike! BTFO!!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 PM
jdbush23
Cruiser

not so worried about what other think about scuffs, more so me, this was a pretty expensive bike for me and to have a scuffed fender all ready after only having it since nov hurts my eyes!!! i am a clean freak and like my scoot clean and blemish free for as long as i can. I have enough character for me and my bike!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i've used what harley calls "scratch and swirl remover" it's a very fine abrasive that sort of smooths things out, and it works great. i call it scratch and squirrel remover, not that it actually repels squirrels, but i use it when i get a flaw in the paint that i want to remove.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

another thought, after you get it polished back in shape, believe it or not, a mouse pad will keep the seat from rubbing on the paint. remember rubber side to the paint, not the fabric as it will scratch the surface. i keep a mouse pad under my seat where it could contact the paint, but also use a lightweight microfiber towel between the mouse pad and the fender. my streetglide is vivid black and it will show any imperfections, no matter how slight. the scratch and swirl remover is great in that you can use it sparingly, and you will not rub through like you could with other, more aggressive compounds. it's tuff enough to do the job, but gentle enough to where you won't likely rub through your clearcoat.

Quick Reply: Factory seat messed up my paint