Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking out for Dangerous Cages

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 6burgh
I talked to an old biker 35 years ago, same complaint, he told me he always rode with 2 things, a pocket full of ball bearings and a starter's pistol. You want to see people start paying attention, start waving a pistol around, and makin some noise, and the ball bearing will keep the 18 wheelers from trying to run you down.

And they didn't even have cell phones back in the day...
Throwing ball bearings at a car or truck is like taking a knife to a gunfight. And suggesting that you wave around a starters pistol in this day and age is a real good idea? It's amazing what you can learn here.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Had too many friends take the hard way out and am super cautious regardless of where I am riding. As far as cell phones I don't believe any of you have not or do not use them as well. I know I do but never without a headset. I am just too lazy to hold a phone, even at home.

My latest close call was on my way to church a couple months ago when I topped a hill a woman in a mini van looked right at me as she was pulling out from another church. Looked right at me and pulled out, then had that deer in the headlights look on her face, stopped in the middle of the road and fortunately as it was a 2 lane road nobody was coming from the other direction. I did a sideways brake and got around her. That is just one incident of many.

A bit off subject but something else that really ticks me off is when somebody is cutting grass and throws it right at you. When cutting mine I am always looking for ANY vehicles going by and stop my zero turn until they have gone by. A lot of people wave and when it is done for me I am sure to recognize the persons courtesy by waving as well.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 AM
6burgh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
Throwing ball bearings at a car or truck is like taking a knife to a gunfight. And suggesting that you wave around a starters pistol in this day and age is a real good idea? It's amazing what you can learn here.
I'm not suggesting riding with a starter's pistol or throwing ball bearings at trucks, it seemed pretty outrageous when I first heard it, I was simply pointing out that the problem hasn't changed in years, and is only getting worse with cell phone and now texting, I ride with my head on a swivel.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:33 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Razerman
In Montana, It's Subaru cars, they get along side to pass after tailgating you and cant seem to pass when they are along side , they force you to hit the brakes to avoid on coming traffic, and when they pass in the oncoming traffic and almost force you to kiss the ditch, because they wont get back in line. a Canadian I talked to in Glacier Park said Volvo was terrible and was the brand to look out for in BC.
Anyone else have a problem with certain type of cages in your areas?

R.
Absolutely. For me, it's the Honda CRV's I really watch out for. The demographic that drives these are the 40+ female that drive them like a sports car and are f*cking clueless to anything around. Guess they think they're the only one on the roads. Same goes with all minivans. There's usually a gaggle of kids in it, and the driver is paying attention to the kids inside rather than the road.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ride like they're all, any make or model, trying to kill me.

I will say however, that I believe a certain unique type of individual drives a Volvo, and I pay extra special attention to them on the road. Ta Ta, off to the country club.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I wonder how all these car drivers stereotype HD riders? Loud, obnoxious, outlaws, etc...... And, how many of you drive the same cars that are being talked about here?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
I wonder how all these car drivers stereotype HD riders? Loud, obnoxious, outlaws, etc...... And, how many of you drive the same cars that are being talked about here?
I don't care how they think of me - as long as they stay the f*ck away. If loud pipes and skulls intimidate, then great, maybe they'll back off and leave plenty of room. Aggressive behavior will create aggressive reactions. Leave me alone and we're cool. F*ck with me or those riding with me, and we're gonna have problems. Not talking about innocent mistakes. Talking about purposely tailgating, cutting off, etc.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:57 PM
KingEvan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some of these are the reasons i always have a nice pinch of dip in when i am 1-up. im not the best aim but if im being tailgated around 40-55 mph i can usually hit the center of a windshield. im not sure if people notice, but it seems like they usually back off.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by russl179
Ball bearings in your jacket pocket can help.....
I carry a paint ball for the windshield of tailgaters.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually around here it's people texting while driving that's scary. That should be outlawed.
GPM

Quick Reply: Looking out for Dangerous Cages