Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking out for Dangerous Cages

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ball bearings in your jacket pocket can help.....

Old 01-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

As bad as some cagers are, in my experience the worst group of poor and dangerously operated vehicles are Harleys! A huge percentage of riders I see are pretty incompetent, and the cagers can see it. Sure, there are plenty of great Harley riders out there too, but there are still way too many who can't ride for beans. My last trip to Sturgis was my last trip. I'd been going since 1972, but too many squirrels for me. It wasn't that way when guys rode Harleys because they liked to ride and hang with other guys who did too. How many people know Sturgis was about hill climbs and flat track races? Now it's about riding around in circles Lazelle to Main Street over heating your motor and burning up a clutch, thinking you're a cool biker. It really was a lifestyle back then. The cops thought we were hoodlums and the 9 to 5 upwardly mobile crowd thought we were bums. Cars gave you some room because the public's image of us was we were psycos. Now a cager thinks we're doctors, ambulance chasers or guys with bucks and they treat you accordingly on the road. If you can't ride well, and a good percentage can't, you're in big trouble. Flame away but I think a lot of you know it's true.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:12 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The worst ones I see are the drivers of mini-trucks...don't know why, but they seem to be the most aggressive, impatient, discourteous, squirrely SOB's on the road.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:25 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Must be a lot of Subaru's up there LOL!
I drive one and never had any of those problems. I think a lot of old timers drive em up north because of the all wheel drive. My Mom drives one up in Massachusetts because of all the snow.
I think the OP is picking on a particular brand because there's so many of them on the road.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:44 AM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any problems with the cages, it's the dim witted drivers that get me, especially the ones with cell phones stuck to the side of their heads

Old 01-05-2010, 06:48 AM
rstekeur
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Northside
As bad as some cagers are, in my experience the worst group of poor and dangerously operated vehicles are Harleys! A huge percentage of riders I see are pretty incompetent, and the cagers can see it. Sure, there are plenty of great Harley riders out there too, but there are still way too many who can't ride for beans. My last trip to Sturgis was my last trip. I'd been going since 1972, but too many squirrels for me. It wasn't that way when guys rode Harleys because they liked to ride and hang with other guys who did too. How many people know Sturgis was about hill climbs and flat track races? Now it's about riding around in circles Lazelle to Main Street over heating your motor and burning up a clutch, thinking you're a cool biker. It really was a lifestyle back then. The cops thought we were hoodlums and the 9 to 5 upwardly mobile crowd thought we were bums. Cars gave you some room because the public's image of us was we were psycos. Now a cager thinks we're doctors, ambulance chasers or guys with bucks and they treat you accordingly on the road. If you can't ride well, and a good percentage can't, you're in big trouble. Flame away but I think a lot of you know it's true.
Sounds like it's time to sell your Harley and get a Subaru! lol

Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 AM
MikeGolf96
Advanced

A cage within a 2 mile radius of a hospital. No one knows where they are going and are looking at the buildings and signs.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM
smurfsdad
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Have to agree with others on "cell phone" users. Especially at intersections when they are making a turn while jabbering on the phone.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 AM
6burgh
Advanced

I talked to an old biker 35 years ago, same complaint, he told me he always rode with 2 things, a pocket full of ball bearings and a starter's pistol. You want to see people start paying attention, start waving a pistol around, and makin some noise, and the ball bearing will keep the 18 wheelers from trying to run you down.

And they didn't even have cell phones back in the day...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Beattle55
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Razerman
In Montana, It's Subaru cars, they get along side to pass after tailgating you and cant seem to pass when they are along side , they force you to hit the brakes to avoid on coming traffic, and when they pass in the oncoming traffic and almost force you to kiss the ditch, because they wont get back in line. a Canadian I talked to in Glacier Park said Volvo was terrible and was the brand to look out for in BC.
Anyone else have a problem with certain type of cages in your areas?

R.
That may have been me that told you about Volvos. We were at Glacier last August. I was on my 08 Dk Blue Pearl FLHX, and we were a group of seven bikes. Volvo drivers up here are real road hogs and seem to be oblivious to what is going on around them! I guess that is why they are advertised as the safest cars on the planet.

Quick Reply: Looking out for Dangerous Cages