Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra detachable tour pak question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 PM
NCTim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Ultra detachable tour pak question

I searched the forum the past few days and have picked up a lot of good information that I need to do this conversion. I'm still confused by something: if I buy the 53303-07 kit, I'll get the docking hardware (53803-06) for the two-up rack. If I also buy the 53804-06 docking hardware, I can add solo attachments. Some suggest that I just get both docking kits and attach them both while I'm at it.

If I do this, will I be able to put my tour pak in a solo position, or does this require a separate solo tour pak rack? Another way of asking this is: are the two-up and solo mounts identical or is the spacing different such that an attachment that fits in the two-up mount will not fit in the solo mount?

After reading the (sometimes confusing) 2010 P&A book, I've concluded that I'd need a solo rack to move my tour pak to the solo position. Some of the posts I've been reading suggest that you can put it in either position, but they don't mention changing racks. If I have to pick one position, I'd pick the two-up. Yet many of the photos that I've seen on HDforums show tour paks in the solo position.

Can someone set me straight here? I'm getting ready to find the best price, buy the stuff, and do this.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

To have a tour pak in the solo position, you need a solo detachable tour pak rack, and the mounting hardware installed on the bike for it; the same mounting hardware is used for the passenger backrest.

If you want a detachable tour pak rack for two-up riding, you need the two-up detachable tour pak rack and the mounting hardware installed on the bike for that rack. That mounting hardware is distinguishable by the two chrome hoops that project off the rear of the bike on each side of the rear fender.

An alternative to HD's two-up detachable rack is the one offered by Milwaukee Bagger. It's advantage over the HD rack is that it uses the same HD mounting hardware that's used for the solo rack/passenger backrest, so no need for HD's two-up rack mouting hardware (i.e. no chrome hoops sticking out the back of the bike.) I recently mounted my tour pak on the MB rack and will post a couple of pics when it's warm enough to get the bike outside. Did a 100 mile ride on New Year's Day and the rack worked fine and seemed very stable.

Good luck with your project.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am piping in about something I have no idea but I'm going to toss this out there anyway...I thought they changed the frame in '08. Will those parts fit?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 PM
NCTim
Advanced

Krazy3,

I think the frame changed with the 09 model. The rack and mounts for 09 and 10 models are entirely different parts than previous years.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:01 PM
NCTim
Advanced

Harleypingman,

From what I just read, the Milwaukee Baggers rack uses the backrest mount. What it doesn't say (or show) is what position the tourpak is in relative to the original fixed (2-up) position. I see that it's adjustable, but is "stock" the same as the original fixed position?

I guess I'm wondering if it's closer to the rider than the fixed position because it's using a bracket that's further forward on the bike.

Looking forward to seeing some pix.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Code37HD
Stage IV
Default Questions in regards to wiring

I too have an 08 Ultra and am thinking of doing the detachable tour pac. My question is......Can you hide all the wiring? I know there's wire for the am/fm, the CB, the lights and the passenger intercom. I don't want to move ahead with this and then have this wiring exposed or laying out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:54 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was gonna do that when I got mine, but after about a month with it on, decided I couldn't get rid of it, it just has too many daily uses for me. Of course, if you don't ride everyday like me, I guess you could go there. I just don't see the sense or laying out the cash for something that works already.