Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Review: J&M In-fairing CB Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Quick Review: J&M In-fairing CB Antenna

For those of you who have CB-equipped bikes but want to make the tour pak detachable without losing the CB function, and for those who want to add CB without the hassle of mounting a tour pak for the antenna or adding a rear-mounted CB antenna (which is my situation), the J&M in-fairing CB antenna is a good alternative.

The product is pictured on J&M's website:

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....FPA-HJCB&PF=43

The product was installed as part of my installation of HD's Boom Audio Music Intercom Kit (BAMI), p/n 77108-09 to add CB/Intercom without changing the tank console or adding a tour pak to support the passenger headset connection and passenger PTT/Vol. controls. The BAMI installation, including the J&M in-fairing CB antenna, is covered (with pictures) in this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tra-glide.html

I hadn't had an opportunity to see if this BAMI kit and J&M antenna would work for my purpose which was to provide a clean CB installation (i.e. no tour pak and no rear-mounted antenna) for use during group rides (primarily with my local HOG chapter). Yesterday, our Chapter took its annual Freeze Your Butt Off Ride and I lead a group of 21 bikes plus a half dozen or so cagers (who preferred the warmth of their cars/pick-ups) on a mostly interstate-type ride from Killer Creek HD in Roswell, GA to Smith House in Dahlonega, GA for lunch.

Over the course of the 40+ mile ride, the sweep (riding an '08 Anniversary Ultra) and I communicated frequently (clearing intersections, securing lanes, etc.) and the CB/Antenna worked great. I don't know precisely the ranges involved, but I would estimate that we weren't separated by more than a mile at times, and typically it was 1/4-1/2 mile. When the weather gets warmer (say 50* or so) I'll take a ride with a buddy and see what the max range is for the antenna.

For now, at least, the J&M in-fairing antenna definitely meets my requirements. With the BAMI kit (and HD's HK head unit and CB module) and this antenna, I have clean CB installation, headset connections/controls that don't require changing the tank console or riding with the tour pak installed that works for my application.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:44 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Good to know. I've been contemplating putting my antennas in the fairing. My aftermarket dust cover that I used on my 04 doesn't fit with my 08 with the antennas.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:47 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Carl
I had installed one in the Street Glide this past week and feel like it will meet my requirements as well...I just want a little something for the communication with the fellow bikes in the group...And of course the cleanliness of the lines of the S/G...
Keep us posted as to the distance one might achieve with the hidden antenna...

Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

If the communication kit wasn't so expensive I would get it just to move the hookups on my Ultra. I don't like having the socket up high and in the middle of the console. It would work better for me down near the seat nose. It would work better for my wife also to have the PTT switch and hookup moved to where this one puts it. MMMMM I'll have to think of some creative ways to use individual parts of this kit to move my current one and put something in the hole that's left over.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
If the communication kit wasn't so expensive I would get it just to move the hookups on my Ultra. I don't like having the socket up high and in the middle of the console. It would work better for me down near the seat nose. It would work better for my wife also to have the PTT switch and hookup moved to where this one puts it. MMMMM I'll have to think of some creative ways to use individual parts of this kit to move my current one and put something in the hole that's left over.
Dawg, the rider headset harness can be extended like handlebar harnesses are extended for apes. You can probably swap out the center trim piece for one from an EGC or EG Standard and eliminate the hole. The passenger headset connection in the BAMI kit is probably the same part HD uses for the Ultra since it comes with a spring that is removed when installing the kit--interesting that HD includes a part in the BAMI kit that is removed/discarded! The passenger headset and attached PTT/Vol. switch are secured using a P-clamp attached to the bolt in front of the left shock.

The plastic shell that attaches the PTT/Vol. switch to the passenger headset stalk in the BAMI kit isn't available for separate sale, nor is the metal clip that secures the rider headset connector to the tank. With your Yankee ingenuity (and sense of thrift), you'll find a solution.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 01-02-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 PM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review .... Been thinking of going this route with the J&M for both antennas.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:43 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Thanks for all the info on this and the install thread, I'm getting ready to order quite a few items for the 2010RG and the CB is on the list, along with the J&M antenna...

Question, I don't need or want the passenger PTT and hookup, can it be left off? the RG is my solo bike so only the driver headset is needed.

Thanks

Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Casper, you can omit the passenger headset connector and passenger PTT/Vol. switch and their associated harnesses without interfering with the CB installation or function.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Thanks
good news for me.....

Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Heres another alternative to a hidden antenna for the Am,Fm...
http://antennaconcept.com/link3.php

and one more
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hidde...item19b720497b

Both these antennas have some really good reviews...

Quick Reply: Quick Review: J&M In-fairing CB Antenna