Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best price on scissor lift to use on table lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:10 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This isn't the cheapest, but I saw it in action on my buddy's lift this week, and I was impressed.

HERE

Old 01-02-2010, 03:16 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by wuzfuz
I went the junk yard sizzor lift route years ago, no need to blow $ on something very little.
WUZFUZ
I did too when I didnt know any better.

They will cause the crossmember to bend under the wieght of the bike and you cant lift the front of the bike with them.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:28 PM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the 'Black Jack' from Greg Smith Equipment a couple years ago for about $100....

Old 01-02-2010, 06:34 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Photos

To answer your questions:
  1. Do you have to raise them one at a time equally one each side, or am I missing something?
    1. Front and back that spans the frame. I put tie downs (ratcheting type) and use sof-ties on the (rear) top shock mounting (around shock) and hook the sides on the lip of my "wings"/extensions. I loosen everything prior to taking off the wheels. This means all caliper bolts also.
    2. (Front) On the forks I either use some part of the front frame up high and use sof-ties.
    3. I raise one side (either) the front or the back depending on what sequence you wish to do.
    4. I do this many times per month and I found that the rear tie method will hold solidly, really well.
    5. Once the front is secure than loosen the rear and I always use a strap across the seat just to make sure. This steadies the bike in your mind for security. Loosen the center seat strap as you raise the rear.
    6. You can cut some (pair) 4" X 6" and then shim with plywood of different thicknesses. This is a cheap re-usual piece of insurance. Slide them in than shim. If it ever would fall (I have never had this happen) it will not fal far (like 1/4"?).
I will take a few photos of the jacks. I will try and do it tonight as I will dump the Snuggie, throw on my leathers including assless chaps but full fingered gloves and dash outside & already need to travel to the shop. The temperature is plunging (59*) and hope to dash back before it really gets cold!

BTW, Harbor freight got them for $15/each with no dumpster diving.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default How to Build a Cheap Scissor Jack for Your Lift Table

Had to wait until the sun rose up some and heated up the ground. Discarded my leather snuggie and faced the cold to take some shots for you dawg. We had frost warnings so no need to take a chance last night. I finished up a DIY PDF on how to do it. With the exception of the jacks I used things I already had for materials. It is in my DIY section and I provided a link for your convenience.

How To Fabricate an Inexpensive Motorcycle Scissor Jack for Your Table Lift PDF Download

Old 01-03-2010, 12:50 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm amazed at how often I use the scissor jack even though I have a hydro bike jack. Just yesterday while changing out the shocks on my softail I use the hydro up front, the scissor in the back and then a hydro car jack under the rear wheel to get the right slack so could get the bolts out easier. I should have gotten a pic.

I use this scissor jack.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:56 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dawg..I did pretty much the same thing that FastHarley did above. I have been using it for at least 3 years and I have lifted everything from my ridding lawnmower to a full dresser and never once had any problems.

One thing that I did different was I welded an old socket on so I can raise and lower it with a 1/2" drive rachet.
It's not as pretty as the store bought one, but it's a tool and that's just fine with me.

My total $$ spent was $7.00-some scrap steel-and a little time with the welder/grinder and a cold one.

And for HogDoc: By welding the bar across the top you will not bend anything. It stays on the frame and not the crossmember.

Last edited by harley-jones; 01-03-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:12 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Thanks Howard. I appreciate you braving the cold......even though I'm in VT and it is 16 degrees and snowing!!! LOL.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on the unit from Complete Hydraulic - works great, it's cheap and arrives ready to go to work.

Woops...just found the same thing at www.scissorliftdeals.com for $49.95 - can't beat that with a stick!!

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 01-03-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:35 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dawg
Thanks Howard. I appreciate you braving the cold......even though I'm in VT and it is 16 degrees and snowing!!! LOL.
Laugh, you are laughing? I am here in the trenches, freezing my azz off, cleaning out my air conditioning filter to increase the airflow to the heat pump and preparing for the irate & pissed off cold panthers waiting to pounce!

It is a messily 61* but with the wind chill it feels like 58* Woe is me!!! The Speedo's are put away and me

And my buds (Joe Knapp's Powder Coating younger brother w/hair) are ready for some work around the shop. I might have to provide some heat in the shop for the next project. This was posted in good humor, too much egg nog.

Last edited by FastHarley; 01-04-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: best price on scissor lift to use on table lift