Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3/4 or full face,

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 03:00 PM
myking
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3/4 or full face,

Any opinions, pros and cons. Haven't worn a full face in years, how is the ventalation systems now? Half helmet is a little cool in winter. Best way to tell is to try them out, but there a little pricy for that.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:14 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my Shoei R1000 full face and my Arai signet full face. both are comfortable and relatively quiet. I also where a Shoei 3/4 helmet which I also like.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

++ on a full face helmet.
I wear one with the visor off, with the visor up...it gets into the
wind turbulance and that transfers down to my glasses....what a pain.
I keep the visor in the tourpak for when the weather gets bad.
Yes, wearing glasses are a pain with FF helmets too.
My son has a modular FF helmet, he really likes it. I may buy one for next season.
Sure takes the pain out of putting a helmet on with glasses...on-off-on-off-on

Old 01-01-2010, 03:40 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I wear a half helmet most of the time. When it gets fairly cold I wear a mask that covers from my nose down.
When it's too cold for that I wear a modular that works very well. Can lift just the visor or the whole chin.
Ventilation is fine.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:43 PM
GarArnett
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a full face. I don't have a 1/2 helmet and just got rid of an old 3/4 I used for MSF classes years ago (so I could leave it on and talk to students). I've been down few times, including once on a track and once when going over an unexpected large sheet of steel in the road - and most times I do a face plant. I have ridden home after every crash, except the one where the old BMW wouldn't start back (the bike died, the crash was from a bad attempt at towing home with a rope, like we used to do in the dirt). I still pushed the bike home. Simply put, the full face gives the protection I will not ride without.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear a 3/4 about 90% of the time when I'm on the EGC. I use the full face only in cold weather riding. I like the extra protection of my Arai full face (wear it all the time with the metric bike) but it is very noisy behind the batwing and a full face makes communication at quick stops, with it on, very difficult. Ventilation is better with the Arai in the wind and not so good behind a fairing.

Last edited by Woodchuck; 01-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:12 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots, and I mean LOTS of threads on here about this same question. Try the search, you'll have reading material for days.

We picked up some 3/4 helmets, usually don't ride with helmets. Don't care for the feel of the full-face, even though it does offer protection much better.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you get used to a full-face helmet, you won't want to wear anything else.

Once you go down with a 3/4 helmet, you won't need a full-face helmet because you'll only have 3/4 of a face left.

I have an Arai Profile helmet that is fine in the summer and winter, and has great ventilation. Most shops will let you try them on around here, and I highly recommend that before ordering one.

Last edited by Damascus; 01-01-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:50 PM
jgreg65
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 42 Posts

Dont forget the new flip up Modular Helmets, the early ones werent the best. But as of late the ones coming out now are really nice. I'm looking to get into one now myself. I'm usually wearing a half helmet around local but wear a full face when traveling on a long trip. But I'm getting tired of toting two helmets around.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:55 PM
jgreg65
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 42 Posts

If you have a Cyclegear in your area they let you buy one and use it for 7 days and return it for a swap if you dont like it.

http://www.cyclegear.com

Quick Reply: 3/4 or full face,