Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/G seat options? Help! I am too damn short!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006 | 01:30 AM
CNC WHEEL GUY
|
Road Warrior
Default S/G seat options? Help! I am too damn short!

Okay, I admit it. My inseam is short. Therefore, I am on the ***** of my feet at a stop light, and I am not comfortable. Seems like the stock seat forces your legs spread open, thus can't securely plant my foot down. [:@]

Does anyone else have this issue with S/G or R/K? What seats help? I have see the reach seat, but do not like the extra thick padding for the passenger area! How about the badlander or the ralley runner? How about corbin, or C&C seats? LePera?

Help![:@]

Old 07-18-2006 | 01:48 AM
manowar
Advanced
Default RE: S/G seat options? Help! I am too damn short!

i just got a sg and i am 5'5' i bought the sundowner seat and it is more comfortable but didnt help at all with getting my feet flat, when i ride 2 up with my wife the bike seems really unbalanced at stops so i been asking around on the forums about trying to find aplace that will modify my sundowner seat, lower my padding a bit and make it a little narrower at the front of the seat.hopefully someone will give me some info on a place that will do it i will keep you updated also when i put the passenger floor boards on i can tell you they also get in the way of your legs when u need to walk the bike a bit so keep that in mind also.

Old 07-18-2006 | 04:21 AM
Matt8643
Road Captain

OK, I am 5'5" and used to have the same problem. I have solved the problem and ride two up all the time with complete confidence, flat footed 100% and the bike even handles better than with the stock HD low profile air shocks that come standard on the SG and RK Custom. All that good stuff being said, the solution was NOT cheap, but well worth it to me. I first bought a good pair of HD riding boots, this did help quite a bit all by itself. Then I purchased a Mustang seat, which looks good and has a much more narrow front end, which allows your legs to plant MUCH better. I had my dealership lower the front forks by adding the touring front lowering kit (this took away all of the slow speed wobble/instability I was having). And lastly I installed 11.5" 440 Progressive shocks. They make the bike look good and they feel great! My bike handles turns much better and feels more connected to the ground. I now never have any problems handling my bike at slow speeds, at stops and 2 up.

Old 07-18-2006 | 12:09 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
|
Road Warrior

i just got a sg and i am 5'5' i bought the sundowner seat and it is more comfortable but didnt help at all with getting my feet flat, when i ride 2 up with my wife the bike seems really unbalanced at stops
Yes Manowar, I know that feeling. I am 5'6" and when i stop riding 2 up, I have the same issue. Thanks for the info on the sundowner too. I had a dealer pushing that seat on me, but I didn't think it would help much. I know that some upholstery shops in my town will do work to my stock seat. They can cut foam and fit it to your liking. But I am unsure of the costs.

OK, I am 5'5" and used to have the same problem. I have solved the problem and ride two up all the time with complete confidence, flat footed 100% and the bike even handles better than with the stock HD low profile air shocks that come standard on the SG and RK Custom. All that good stuff being said, the solution was NOT cheap, but well worth it to me. I first bought a good pair of HD riding boots, this did help quite a bit all by itself. Then I purchased a Mustang seat, which looks good and has a much more narrow front end, which allows your legs to plant MUCH better. I had my dealership lower the front forks by adding the touring front lowering kit (this took away all of the slow speed wobble/instability I was having). And lastly I installed 11.5" 440 Progressive shocks. They make the bike look good and they feel great! My bike handles turns much better and feels more connected to the ground. I now never have any problems handling my bike at slow speeds, at stops and 2 up.
Matt8643, I can see how your solution was expensive. But if that's what makes you comfortable and safe, then it is a small price to pay! How much lower does the 440 Progress lower you? Which model mustang seat did you buy? Is it the one on your bike in the sig pic?

Old 07-18-2006 | 12:19 PM
manowar
Advanced

ya i was really bugging out a few days ago about the stability issues when stopping at lights and such with my wife on the bike, i said damm honey dont move around like that when we are coming top a stop she says i didnt even move or shift my weight, i was like man is this bike to big for me? i been on bikes my whole life and never had this problem before. is this the problem of stability issues the front fork lowering helped on? im imbarresed to even bring this up but compared to my softail this wobble feeling when stopping is bugging me out.

Old 07-18-2006 | 12:34 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

5-7" 28" inseam here.

Check out my posting from last week on the C&C seat I recently purchased and which brings my feet flat to the ground better than my previous 3 seats on my Street Glide (stock, sundowner two up, sundowner solo).

I bought the solo and plan to get the passenger pillion. They also make it in a two up version. Both very narrow in the front while still very comfortable. really compliments the lines of Road Kings and Street Glides.

Here's the link: https://www.hdforums.com/m_593995/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Primo

Old 07-18-2006 | 12:56 PM
manowar
Advanced

ya i really like them seats primo just wish i would have bought one before i got the sundowner, im gonna try the front and rear lowering kit i think not sure if i should go 1' or 1 /2' drop in the rear i ride 2 up almost all the time

Old 07-18-2006 | 02:35 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
|
Road Warrior

Primo,

Thanks for the posting and info on C&C seats. I do remember read about it before. So, Do you feel that the seat alone helps keep your feet planted on the ground? It is cut narrower and deeper, or just narrow?

I know you stated that you ordered the medium firm. Is it firmer than the HD stk seat? Does it take some time to break in?

Denis

Old 07-18-2006 | 03:56 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: denispetit

Primo,

Thanks for the posting and info on C&C seats. I do remember read about it before. So, Do you feel that the seat alone helps keep your feet planted on the ground? It is cut narrower and deeper, or just narrow?

I know you stated that you ordered the medium firm. Is it firmer than the HD stk seat? Does it take some time to break in?

Denis
I'd have to say it's more narrow, more rounded and a little thinner than the stock seat and yes the seat alone made a big difference for me.

It is firmer than stock but because of the way it is cut it is much more comfortable, immediately. No break-in needed.

Chuck the owner worked for another manufacturer of HIGH END touring seats (don't want to drop the name but Chuck will if asked) and knows his ergonomics. Great customer service and 0 pressure.

I contemplated dropping or going to different shocks but don't have to now because of this seat. Like I said with my 28" inseam I am flat footed at stops now and am very comfortable on 200+ mile days.

Primo

Old 07-18-2006 | 06:19 PM
shearpinn
Cruiser

I put the Sundowner Solo (1 piece listed for the RK - part # 51928-01) and the Sundowner Pillion (51929-01) on my Street Glide and absoletely love it - so does my girlfriend. You will need the bracket too (52903-01) for $60 retail since it is a 2 piece and the RK comes stock with it. Most of the SG owners here will probably say its too big and the SG is "sporty". My opinion, its a cleaner touring bike, I have a slammed Fatboy for "sporty". Touring is about comfort and that seat hugs you and feels like a pillow without looking like a pillow. My girlfriend loves the pillion so much better than even the SG Sundowner.

I bought mine from Chicago Harley - the new Glenview (I think) store. They have 2 stores now. The Solo was $200 instead of $269, the pillion was $128 instead of $160, and shipping was like $15-ish. Had in 4 days cause they kept them in stock. I bought the bracket from my local cause Chicago did not have it in stock and my local did and the price difference was only a few $s. It was a great purchase.

FYI - I am a shorter rider - 5'7" and the stock SG and SG Sundowner is wide at the tank. Spreads my legs wide and still was on toes even will the lower shocks. This seat is narrower at the tank and I am flat footed easily at stops. Great seat.

I have put about 5000 miles on that seat in the last 2-3 months including a trip to NM and CO from TX with 700 mile/ 14 hr days. It is as comfortable as a seat is gonna get at that point and a pillow on a 300 mile day. Plus it is 2 piece so you can run a clean fender when you are in town solo

Quick Reply: S/G seat options? Help! I am too damn short!