Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak Lighting on a 09 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:31 PM
gmurdock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tour Pak Lighting on a 09 Street Glide

I have an older tour pak (1997) that my painter has to match to my Pearl Black 09 Street Glide. I have found a Deutsch 4 plug male connection on the left side beside the ABS brake system, but when I tested it for power got nothing? I thought all touring bikes had a connector to connect a tour pak to them? What have others done? Do I make my own? The tour pak I have has a 4 plug Deutsch male connect coming out of it for the Lights. The previous owner just cut the speaker wires. Can make my own connects for that. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 12-31-2009, 08:16 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Look in front or around the battery, there is a 4 pin connector with a black rubber cap on it for the TP. Can't help on the speakers

Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

..... Ride Time Tech makes a good harness that comes w/ great instructions

Old 12-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

1. All of the fairing model Touring bikes have a tour pak harness (Road King's don't have the TP harness). Usually, it's located on the left side of the bike under the left side cover. It will have a black, three-wire connector at its end.

2. Tour pak light wiring harness has a mating three-wire connector for simple plug-in connection to the bike's tour pak harness.

3. If you have a four-wire connector and all of the wires are there, it's unlikely that it's for the tour pak lighting; more likely it's for the passenger controls of PTT/Mode/Volume.

Usually, the tour pak light wiring is black (ground), red/orange stripe (brake light), and blue (run light).

The four-wire connector you found that is unpowered is probably the bike's data link. I'm not familiar with the '09 model's location of the data link, but if you have the ignition "on" or "accessory" and there is no power at any of the terminals, it's likely the data link. In any event, it's not the bike's tour pak harness.

Do yourself a favor and buy the HD Service Manual for your bike. It has excellent wiring diagrams in the back along with an index of the connectors on the bike. The wiring diagrams are helpful in your case since they provide the wire colors so it's easy to determine was the connector is used for by checking the wire colors in it against the wiring diagrams.

Good luck with your project.

EDIT: Take a few minutes, snap some digital pics of the connectors, and you'll get more definitive answers when pictures accompany the post/questions.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 AM
smat45
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey g...keith@ridetimetechnology.com set me up w/a 'Y' cable to I could hook up my detach tour pack. I have an 08SG...on the left side of the seat there is a connection for the rear fender facia light. I disconnected that, then plug'd one (1) end of the 'Y' into it and reconnected the facia light into the other so the facia would work...the tail of the 'Y' will now plug into the tour pack.
Send Keith an email...he'll set you right up...it's very well constructed (loomed in black shrink tube), for right around $20 including shipping.
Alot cheaper then the wiring harness's you'll have to buy from the dealership to hook up the rear speakers...Alot! start saving for those : /
It sure is nice having those lights back there...and you can hold off on the rear tunes...for a while...

smat