Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with handlebar changeout 09 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009 | 06:00 PM
Terrific Pacific
|
Tourer
Exclamation Help with handlebar changeout 09 RKC

OK...I'm not a complete noob but I have already done one thing wrong and need help on another.
First of all, I did not use a cardboard (or any kind) of spacer between the brake lever and the bracket...not even sure where to put it but anyway I got in a hurry and forgot to address that issue...is there anything I can do at this point to maybe no screw the brake light switch up?
Secondly...I have the headlight off and need to unplug the throttle sensor jumper harness connector and I am not sure which one it is.......
If anyone can help me it would be great...
Thanks.

Old 12-31-2009 | 06:36 PM
Sancho
Road Master

You need a service manual. I know, I'm alot of help.

Old 12-31-2009 | 06:39 PM
Terrific Pacific
|
Tourer

Here's the embarrassing part...I have one.

Old 12-31-2009 | 06:44 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

There is a chance the front brake light switch is okay. Only ways to find out are once everything is back together to test it or pull it out and have a look at it. Since it is apart you might as well take it out and have a look see. It is easy to tell if it is broken. Check out Harley Hog's lair for some pointers although your bike is far newer. He has pics and all. http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/photos/my.../rkbarswap.pdf

Old 12-31-2009 | 06:55 PM
Sancho
Road Master

Originally Posted by Terrific Pacific
Here's the embarrassing part...I have one.
Well in that case it's on page 4-15, figure 4-18. I see 3 of them and they all look alike with an arrow poing to the TGS. I guess if it were me I'd unhook all 3 if I couldn't figure out which one it is. Push up on those wire and see which one goes inside the handlebar. When you start removing the handlebars you'll definately see which one is the TGS and then you can rehook the other two. Make sure you read that note at the bottom of the page.
As for problem #one put the cardboard in now. Maybe it's never too late. You probably didn't hurt anything yet.

Old 12-31-2009 | 07:55 PM
Certified Drunk
Tourer

Dont worry about the brake, I did the same thing and it works fine. The TBW connector is up by the bar clamps on the top triple crown.

Old 12-31-2009 | 08:04 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain

Unless you have previously internally wired your handlebars the only set of wires coming out of the bars in the center of the bars is the Twist Grip Sensor wires.

Old 12-31-2009 | 10:20 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Terrific Pacific
OK...I'm not a complete noob but I have already done one thing wrong and need help on another.
First of all, I did not use a cardboard (or any kind) of spacer between the brake lever and the bracket...not even sure where to put it but anyway I got in a hurry and forgot to address that issue...is there anything I can do at this point to maybe no screw the brake light switch up?
Secondly...I have the headlight off and need to unplug the throttle sensor jumper harness connector and I am not sure which one it is.......
If anyone can help me it would be great...
Thanks.
The cardboard in the brake perch is important when you re-install it, not necessarily for the dis-assembly part. So there's still time to use it.

Also, when you say you need to unplug the throttle sensor, are you talking about disconnecting it in the headlight nacelle, or from the twist grip sensor end? Two different connection points. At the twist grip sensor side, you just gently pull the grip senor out of the handlebar, and a green connector will come out a few inches in from the sensor... As for disconnecting it in the nacelle, just follow the wire that comes out of the handlebar by the clamp. It will lead to a larger connector that should be attached to the top triple tree.

What bars are you going to install?

Old 12-31-2009 | 10:30 PM
Terrific Pacific
|
Tourer

OK, OK...
All the advice got me going in the right direction...It was the connection in the nacelle that had me confused but I jumped ahead of the book a little and took the ignition/clamp cover off and then I could easilly tell which set of wires it was.
I am also putting a heat grip kit in and will use the aux switch hole....is that switch hot already? Can I just change it out with the 3-way for the elements?
I am putting Heritage Style bars on....Kuryakyn grips.
Thanks all.

Old 01-01-2010 | 02:04 AM
fairplay
Road Master

good choice on bars. I started with those before i went to the 18's. You seem have gotten the answere to the other questions. As for the stop light sensor, they are cheap, ask me how i know. I have done 2-3 dozen bar changes and it never fails when you are in a hurry and absent minded this kind of crap happens.

Quick Reply: Help with handlebar changeout 09 RKC