Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering my front end

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:10 AM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering my front end

About 4mos ago I put some SG shocks on the rear of my RG to get it lower,since I am vertically challenged,and now I want to lower the front. I could use some suggestions on the best and simplest way to do this. Let me know what you guys think. I would like to get anywhere from 1" to 2" lower. Any info would really help as I will be doing the work myself. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:32 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To keep the bike level, I would recommend you only lower the front 1". You can get the 1" lower springs from any HD dealer.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

Is it easy enough to change out the springs myself,or should I have the stealer do it at my 20mi service?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:24 AM
fairplay
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used progressive drop ins. they are easy enough to install. the catch is removing the entire fairing and front end (depending how crafty you are). Its a big toll on the wallet if you let them do it. If you have more time than money, the parts will cost about $110 and your labor is free.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

oops I thought it was a SG

Last edited by CLL375; 12-31-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:38 PM
LEGENDCHROME
Cruiser

I went with two front and rear. Progressive springs up front and progressive 440hd's in the rear. I love it, you have to re-learn the lean angle but other than that I would do it again in a heart beat.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default What you need to know about lowering

When you drop (shorten the length of the forks) the front end in every way mentioned above, you have degraded your ride horribly. What you are doing is shortening the available stroke. This is achieved by the following methods:
Race Tech: Uses longer top out springs thus raising the piston on the Seat Pipe/Damper Tube.
Progressive/the Company: Uses multiple top out springs. You can guess the ride quality.
HD: Uses a shortened Seat Pipe/Damper Tube (example 09 HD Drop Kit (2009 ~ Current) 54564-09 MSRP US $149.95
('06-'08 Touring) 54628-06 MSRP US $99.95
and included a set of stiffer springs to compensate for the available shorter stroke. The Top-Out Springs are the same as the same model/year and remain the same and are not changed.
  • The Top-Out Springs is 0.90” long and collapses to 0.611”/stroke of 0.289”.
  • The dampening tubes (PN#: 46422-09) (LOA) on 2009 is 7.251” /stroke: 4.434”.
  • The new shortened kit Seat Pipe LOA: 6.551”/Stroke 3.734”.
If you add the measurements the 1” drop kit is only 0.700” shorter. They will transform your already horrible HD suspension and than bring it to a all new low in performance.

I never suggest lowering any bike because the ground clearance decreases, lean angle demises, and using the methods above, the ride quality is horrendous making for a very uncomfortable ride.

It would only stand to reason if a lowered bike is needed; you must lower the suspension components until the parts have enough clearance to work ie: fender not hitting the bottom of the triple tree et. Al. When modifying anything you should always know what you are doing and measure first prior to cutting.

I received measurements for a wheel/tire, fender w/clearance after dropping it onto the tire, than measuring full maximum OEM stroke, than calculating the shortest the suspension can be before hitting the light bar (if applicable) with a ¼” of clearance. That measurement is (varies with tire diameter) with the given tire including tire growth.

I first cut the fork tubes (cut tube(s) on top, OEM on bottom).

Cut the sliders the corresponding same distance to suite the job. Just make a fixture, make a program, true the sliders to the slider bore, than cut the sliders duplicating the race keeper and spring clip keeper.

I assembled the forks. The one on the left is OEM and the right is shortened to my target length. Both have the same OEM travel/stroke and no difference in ride quality while going straight.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:25 PM
richnakol
Cruiser

huh? i dont know what he is talking about......but i put a 21" wheel on the front of my bike and a 17 on the back. Steering is off now and everyone i talked to said lowering the front with the lowering kit from HD will put it back to the way it felt when it was stock. Santa gave me the HD lowering kit and i plan to install this winter along with new fork bells

Old 12-31-2009, 08:39 PM
sroper100
Intermediate

Legendchrome is right about the lean angles. I bought a 2002 Fatboy that had been lowered 2 inches front & rear. I was riding a stock height 1993 Fatboy at the time so when I left the dealership on the 02' I was used to stock. It dragged the frame & floorboards so quick every time I leaned. I never got used to it plus I'm 6' 4" tall so I put the front back up to stock and left the back lowered. Loved it after that... That's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps...

Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Stansuski
Cruiser

Just spent the last weekend REMOVING a 2" lowering kit from my wifes dresser,she liked the lower height but we both agreed it turned the bike into a death trap.Geometry changed ,no lean angle etc.
Stan

Quick Reply: Lowering my front end