Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forcewinder XR Air Cleaner.....NEED help installing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Big Snik
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forcewinder XR Air Cleaner.....NEED help installing

i could really use some help here guys. i purchased a used forcewinder air filter kit and i cant get it to install on my bike. i have a 1993 Electraglide Ultra Classic (100% stock 1340 evo). the forcewinder mounting bracket ears will mount to the jugs, and the ring of the bracket to the carb....but then i cant get the elbow onto the bracket because of the allen bolts (that hold the bracket to the carb) being in the way. there are 3 recessed holes on the mounting bracket which i was assuming would hold the bolts that attached the bracket to the carb but none of the recessed holes line up with the holes on the carb. im completely stumped. like i said, i CAN attach the bracket to the carb and secure it to the jugs, but then cant attach the elbow that holds the filter. am i missing a part or something? this is my exact kit and the parts i have to work with .....

am i supposed to have some special adapter to fit my CV carb? or am i doing something wrong while trying to install it? any help would be much appriciated. thanks in advance.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:33 AM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious as to if this is the correct part number for your year model? A couple years back I purchased two heavy breather ac's, one for my buddy who had an 07 SG and one for my 08 SG. Found out that it had changed from that year to mine so we ended up having to send his back to get one that fit the 07 model. Just wondering if you are running into the same type of problem. Did you go to the forcewinder website and verify everything? Just a first thought.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Big Snik
Banned

first of all, thanks for the quick reply.

i cant seem to find anything online about what EXACTLY the kit would contain for my specific bike. i bought this used and was told it would fit my bike, and the bracket does...but then the elbow wont go on. so im assuming its missing an additional ring that goes between the bracket and the elbow??? everything i see online looks to have all the parts i have to work with. im stumped. unless of course there is a ring like i said, that im missing. and i havent got a dam clue, lol

Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How are you mounting the elbo? pointing up or forward?

Old 12-31-2009, 07:31 AM
Big Snik
Banned

ive tried mounting it both ways Zimbob. ideally i would like to have it facing forward. but neither position will work. im almost convinced im missing a piece.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:36 AM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with a MoFlow breather, turns out that they had changed FI systems from one year to the next and and there was just a slight difference. I would probably side with the others when they say "make sure it's listed for the year of your bike"...tough when buying used..good luck.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:58 AM
HotCheck
Stage I
Default 90 degree AC

Not sure why your Forcewinder AC flange wont align w/carb-bracket. However most 90 degree AC,s are designed for fulie motors. They fit carb motors but the AC flange covers the float bowl breather oriface. The float bowl oriface on CV carb is located left of 12 oclock. That is why your carb gasket has 4 holes 5/16", the oddly placed hole is the float oriface. I have used 90 degree AC's on CV carb motors but in order to get sufficent air into the float you need a 3/8" spacer machined with 3 holes 5/16" for the bolts and a notch for the oraface. Any questions I can send a picture.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said... "because of the allen bolts (that hold the bracket to the carb) being in the way."

Does that mean the allen bolt heads are protruding too high to allow the elbow to seat properly, or are the allen bolts in the same mount holes which the elbow bolts go through?

If the plate bolts are protruding to high, can you either find shorter headed bolts, use an adapter plate between the two, or as last resort grind enough off the top of the ones you have, to allow the elbow to seat better?

If they are the same mount holes as the elbow, try removing the plate mount bolts and using a longer bolt(s) which would penetrate both the elbow and the plate mount holes into the carb.

If the bolt hole pattern is not matching in any way, then you may need an adapter plate. Keep in mind what HotCheck stated...

Last edited by CroK; 01-26-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Big Snik
Banned

hey guys. thanks for all the feedback/help. i appriciate it. i figured it would be better to order a different cleaner and sell this one. so thats where im at with that. thanks again guys,