Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing a GPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 PM
chipster36
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing a GPS

I am installing a zumo 660 GPS unit and the instructions state that the wires should be routed under the gas tank down the main spline and wired spliced in by the battery. Probably a stupid question but do I need to remove the gas tank to accomplish this?

Thanks

Old 12-29-2009, 11:28 PM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wired mine along the handle bar, into the fairing and tied into the pigtail connectors on the headlight circuit. If you want to wire to the battery you could try to run a wire along the harness that goes under the tank. Not an easy task but easier than removing the tank. From what I hear that is difficult.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:40 PM
chipster36
5th Gear

Thanks - I had talked to someone who mentioned tying in to the headlight pigtail as well. What did you hook the ground wire up to?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:42 PM
ElectraEd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chipster36
I am installing a zumo 660 GPS unit and the instructions state that the wires should be routed under the gas tank down the main spline and wired spliced in by the battery. Probably a stupid question but do I need to remove the gas tank to accomplish this?

Thanks
That is interesting. Mine state to wire them into the fairing and to the orange and white pigtails by the headlight connector. They must have changed them.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 PM
surfcitybum
Road Captain

Wired it to the headlight too. On my Road King I had an extra pigtail with two connectors in the housing and worked great.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was able to run wires for a gps under the tank by doing a partial tank removal (tank lift) on an '07 FLLHTC but it was a real PITA with the tank teetering on wood blocks between the tank and the frame. I was actually able to get the wire in the right side wire tray. Complete tank removal is a real pain, also.

Since then, I installed a Herko quick disconnect on the gas tank crossover line that makes tank removal a breeze. If this is a winter project, I recommend you go through the ordeal of getting the quick disconnect installed and then remove the tank for EASY access to the wire trays. Future tank removal with the quick disconnect can be done without losing any gas... Well, maybe a couple of drops.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:18 AM
rcpilot_971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone have a picture with farring off of the headlight pigtails you used

Old 12-30-2009, 07:03 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

On my 550 I just plugged it into the lighter.....Really easy as I dont smoke and have no use for the lighter anyway.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Chasenfish
Road Captain

I ran my wires under the tank console and tapped into the auxiliary power supply, so it runs off the auxiliary switch. Just loosened the console to get the wires through, but did not have to loosen the tank. Here is the previous post.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...0-install.html

Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the power to my 550 to the lighter also. Bought a waterproof connector at West Marine and plugged it in. Works great. I do plan on hard wiring it sometime though.

Quick Reply: installing a GPS