Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:22 PM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ABS Brakes

I have an 2009 RKS with almost 20,000 miles on it. I like others have had issues with the HD ABS system. I first noticed that brake lever would almost jump out of my hand when braking hard on an irregular surface. I got "Service Bulletin" M-1251 here and took it to my dealer. First they denied any knowledge of it but when I pushed the issue they came up with it. They down loaded the 2010 map with the new calibration. It helped, but still not totally right in my opinion. Got the gas tank recall yesterday and made an appointment today to have it taken care of. Asked the dealer to look into the ABS again. They found the brake pads worn badly but not metal to metal. Mechanic put new pads on but the problem still existed. The Service Manager test rode it and said the rotors were warped and asked it I wanted them replaced. I asked if they were considered a warranty item and was informed that they were not because the pads were so worn. Remember its not metal to metal. At the thinnest point I would say its about the width of a credit card. I protested and told the Service Manager I was taking it to the HD for appeal. There is no signs of excessive heat on the old pads.

I will appeal to HD. Needless to say I'm not impressed with my dealer, and the Service Manager in particular. This is not my first run in with him, and because of my experiences will not use them for anything but warrenty work (they are the dealer that sold me the bike). I won't mention their name here until this plays out. I will let every one here know the outcome.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can take the bike to any official Harley dealer for warranty work, not only the place you bought the bike from.

I also got the download and am pretty satisfied with my ABS now. Yes, it still locks up sooner than I'd like (probably because of the short suspension travel) but it's far better than before.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Mr. Bill
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my up grade and the brakes seem to be doing just what they should. Major difference with the 2010 download.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have traveled quite a bit and have heard horror stories from all over, let alone my own. Some dealers are not worth a squat or the effort it takes to make (or take) one. My bike, being an 01 does not have ABS and I grew up without it so have some idea of how to safely stop a bike or 4 wheel vehicle without it. Just a safety gimmick as far as I am concerned but again, I have not used it on a bike. Surely there are proponents but I prefer to remain old school without ABS and stick with a simple carburetor. Not knocking fuel injection, but my problems, should any arise are more easily solved.

I wish you luck but 20K with original pads? Not defending the dealer but that can be pushing it depending on your riding.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

Just a note on the brake pad thickness. Its only about an 1/8" new so don't count that wear too excessive. My dealer wanted to change them and showed me how thin they were...1/8".

Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Highland61
Novice

Not trying to be an antagonist, but I would find it very unusual for a dealer to change rotors/pads under warranty unless there is a manufacturer issue, especially if the rotors are warped.
I've been switching to cryogenic rotors and pad sets the first chance I get with my cages. Will do the same when I need them for the bike. Factory brake components are inadequate on most vehicles, imo.
Good luck

Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Warped rotors ARE a warrantable item. Ive changed lots of them under factory and ESP as long as they are out of spec (greater than .008" warped) they are covered. Go to a different dealer.

I cant understand the dealers that wont change parts under warranty, its gauranteed money and makes customers happy.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:33 AM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser

I have already been contacted by a different dealer and encouraged to bring it in for them to look at. Plan to do that Thursday. We will see. I personally talked to the GM and he was very supportive over the phone. They are not my original dealer but not to far for me to travel. If they step up to the plate my original dealer will never seen me again.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:06 PM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser

Update.

Visited the other dealer today. They looked at the brake pads which still had about the width of a credit card at the thinnest point. They checked the run out and said they would replace both rotors under warranty. Harley allowed run out is 6-8,000. One of my rotors was 10,000 and the other was 25,000.

I have to wait for them to be ordered but for now I'm happy with the result.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:00 PM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcgeesr
Harley allowed run out is 6-8,000. One of my rotors was 10,000 and the other was 25,000.
Glad that it worked out for you. Just curious for the less mechanicaly knowledgeable of us, as to what run out is?

Quick Reply: ABS Brakes