Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There is no doubt that with four wheels ABS has something to offer, but I also have owned a BMW bike with it and covered 50k miles and it never did anything for me. I wouldn't buy a bike with it again, or change bikes to get it.

This topic seems to raise the blood pressure more than most! Or is it just hot air....

Old 01-19-2010, 03:25 AM
Pope
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Sigh* Why do people so often claim ABS will save you in the corners or turns? It will do nothing for you except in a straight line (and mines pretty iffy there). Before you scratch your bike up to test this, watch your DVD about ABS that came with your bike.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:39 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
There is no doubt that with four wheels ABS has something to offer, but I also have owned a BMW bike with it and covered 50k miles and it never did anything for me. I wouldn't buy a bike with it again, or change bikes to get it.
You're lucky you don't live in a place where taxis will suddenly pull into your lane in front of you and slam on the brakes to pick up a passenger! Trust me, when that happens ABS comes in very handy, especially if it's raining...

Old 01-19-2010, 05:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Twinrider
You're lucky you don't live in a place where taxis will suddenly pull into your lane in front of you and slam on the brakes to pick up a passenger! Trust me, when that happens ABS comes in very handy, especially if it's raining...
After 43 years riding and near half a million miles I think I have experienced most of the awful things that can happen out there! I can't think of one where ABS would have changed the outcome.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:50 AM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pope
*Sigh* Why do people so often claim ABS will save you in the corners or turns? It will do nothing for you except in a straight line (and mines pretty iffy there). Before you scratch your bike up to test this, watch your DVD about ABS that came with your bike.
I never got a dvd with my bike.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WHAT! No DVD? I think a new bike is in order. I would file a complaint and never go back to that dealer again. They must want you to die. Everyone knows that without ABS or the Dvd you will die.

Last edited by captjon37; 01-19-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

After 43 years riding and near half a million miles I think I have experienced most of the awful things that can happen out there! I can't think of one where ABS would have changed the outcome.
I don't care if you have 10 million miles on 100 different bikes. There's simply no way you'll even come close to braking in a shorter distance on a straightaway than the most novice riding on a bike with modern ABS brakes. You're welcome to make whatever claims you wish, but you are simply deluding yourself with your level of experience compensating for all the unexpected events that can occur on the road.

I'm 52 and have been riding motorcycles for 40 years, all of those years with normal non-abs brakes until recently. I've had my 2010 SE Ultra (abs brakes) since August and have experienced enough "small" events where the abs kicked in to better appreciate why all bikes should come with abs as a standard safety feature.

Anyone suggesting otherwise is welcome to do so for whatever "thick-headed" reason they wish. but please don't try to suggest to others that your personal riding "skills" somehow are superior to the braking capabilities of a modern abs bike's braking capability. Simply false and it's likely to get guys that think that way in serious trouble someday.

There's wings of hospitals in the Spring that are chock full of knuckleheads that believed they had superior riding skills that simply didn't account for the 17 yr behind the wheel of a car with "0" skills at driving.

Do yourself a favor (and others reading this thread) whenever it comes time to get a new bike, be a grown-up and admit that technology has surpassed your riding skills and that its time to get abs brakes on your next new bike.

Last edited by Heatwave; 01-19-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I don't care if you have 10 million miles on 100 different bikes. There's simply no way you'll even come close to braking in a shorter distance on a straightaway than the most novice riding on a bike with modern ABS brakes. You're welcome to make whatever claims you wish, but you are simply deluding yourself with your level of experience compensating for all the unexpected events that can occur on the road.

I'm 52 and have been riding motorcycles for 40 years, all of those years with normal non-abs brakes until recently. I've had my 2010 SE Ultra (abs brakes) since August and have experienced enough "small" events where the abs kicked in to better appreciate why all bikes should come with abs as a standard safety feature.

Anyone suggesting otherwise is welcome to do so for whatever "thick-headed" reason they wish. but please don't try to suggest to others that your personal riding "skills" somehow are superior to the braking capabilities of a modern abs bike's braking capability. Simply false and it's likely to get guys that think that way in serious trouble someday.

There's wings of hospitals in the Spring that are chock full of knuckleheads that believed they had superior riding skills that simply didn't account for the 17 yr behind the wheel of a car with "0" skills at driving.

Do yourself a favor (and others reading this thread) whenever it comes time to get a new bike, be a grown-up and admit that technology has surpassed your riding skills and that its time to get abs brakes on your next new bike.
See my post at #21:

This topic seems to raise the blood pressure more than most! Or is it just hot air....
Ride safe!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr.Grbrown, did you say all that in your post? Heatwave sure added a lot of words to what you said. Ok old people, doing anything for 40+yrs don't make you good, it just makes you old.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

See my post at #21:

Ride safe!
I read both posts. To think because you've been riding for 40 years means you've somehow experienced every road situation that can ever occur is simply a foolish statement. It's not about hot air or even high blood pressure. I would defend your right to ride whatever bike is legally allowed to be on the road.

But please don't try to convince me or others that somehow your 40 years of riding provides you with a protective cocoon that will keep you out of the hospital or the grave when the next 17 old driver jumps out in front of you at an intersection because they had no idea that thing with 3 headlights was a Harley. And just because a deer hasn't jumped out in front of you with no notice in 40 years doesn't mean one won't jump in front of you on the very next ride. In both of those emergency brake situations the evidence is overwhelming...the abs bike will stop in a shorter distance than the non-abs bike, wet or dry pavement.

Either way, enjoy your ride and keep the rubber the down.

Quick Reply: ABS Brakes