Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
GarArnett
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strtarrow
GarArnett, I hope you read this. In the case you mentioned about downloading music, does it make a difference if the accused (the extent of my court phrases) if said person pays an annual fee to a company such a Limewire?
I don't do Limewire, so I don't know much about it. But I will say that if the song/copyright is downloaded with out permission of the copyright owner, nothing else matters. Thus the service you get the song through must have permission. File sharing with others outside your household is illegal, plain and simple. I load up my CDs (from legal purchase) and get the rest from iTunes. That way I know I'm legal.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 AM
cw821
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a guy on ebay selling the .pdf for 10 bucks. Says he'll send you a link after you pay. Do you guys think this is legit? or some guy ripping off Harley?

Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 AM
CroK
Banned

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
The HD manuals are very reasonably priced.
I didn't mind the price when I first bought mine about 4-5 months ago, but I do have to say I am thoroughly disgusted with the binding. I have used tech manuals my entire life, I read them like bedtime stories, and never have I had a single one fall apart with the abuse I gave them. I've got several old Chilton manuals from the mid 50s, that are still usable today even with all the greasy finger prints from using them in the shop.

I literally baby my HD manual, and I haven't used it even a small fraction of the time I used ANY of the others I've owned. I don't even have any greasy finger prints on any of the pages yet, but the pages are seperating from the binding on this HD manual. And I feel as if I should have a look on the net for a 'free' download to justify what I paid for this piece of crap they sold me.

I seriously hope some one from Harley Davidson reads this response, it really rips my *** each time I need to look at something in the manual now. And that alone should be incentive enough to think about offering a cd...

Last edited by CroK; 12-30-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:36 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't like the binding? Do this............cost about $6

Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM
GarArnett
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cw821
There's a guy on ebay selling the .pdf for 10 bucks. Says he'll send you a link after you pay. Do you guys think this is legit? or some guy ripping off Harley?
I wouldn't do it. ANYTHING dealing with copyright that seems too good, probably is not legit. Now, if they show proof, then ok. But beware what they show you.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 AM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GarArnett
I wouldn't do it. ANYTHING dealing with copyright that seems too good, probably is not legit. Now, if they show proof, then ok. But beware what they show you.
This was what got this whole mess (thread) started. Apparently this is illegal.
My question is why hasn't Harley gone straight to the source. (Ebay)
I realize Ebay is hard to monitor but if the lawyers are monitoring the internet like mentioned then cut it off at the source.
Check out some of those guys and see they have been selling them for a long time now. Bust the Dealer not the addict.

My wife listed (used private owned) Longaberger baskets on there a few years ago and it got pulled by Ebay for using the Longaberger name without permission. Surely Harley is bigger than that.

Last edited by BuckeyeRider; 12-30-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 AM
GarArnett
Cruiser

Problem is, you can sell your book, CD, shop manual etc. to anyone legally, if it was purchased legally. But if you copy it for anything other than personal archival use, it becomes illegal. Hard for ebay to regulate. H-D, by stopping use of their name for any listing, would set a bad precident for all of ebay, meaning all manufacturers would then look into stopping it. Without taking up a ton of space, end result is you wind up cutting off too many legal re-sales of vehicles and parts, thus making the value of the used market go down and the value of the new product less, since the re-sale value is less. But H-D has never cared about that since the late 80's when they went after all the small indy shops with Hog in their name and also wanted to litigate (maybe they did, can't remember) over the sound of the bike with Honda over the first Shadow Ace.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:17 AM
pgr103
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did not mean to **** anyone off my point was if your printing three hundred thousand or so books it might cost you 5 or 6 bucks per copy.just thought they could settle for a little less profit.I paid full price for mine just thought it was a little pricey that all.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Every factory Toyota service manual I ever purchased, costs right at a hundred dollars. I thought the MOCO's was reasonably priced considering all. I'm taking mine to a print shop and having holes punched for a ring set up like that of "IAMSWUTIAMS" manual. I'll bet I have mine done before the years end.

Now on a more humorous note. My Ex GF type is quite mechanically inclined an being as such, ordered the factory manual for her 91' Toyota Lancruiser. Laurie opened it for the first time to check out what was involved in replacing her water pump. To her dismay, you know what she found. No instructions involving anything associated with what to remove or how to remove or adjust anything.
The only thing in print on her water pump in the service manual was one page on how to replace the bearing and seal to rebuild the water pump. I couldn't help but laugh while she pitched a bi*ch about how much she spent on the manual to learn such things. I had a heart and told her the factory service manual is meant for someone who already has the skills to R&R the ancillary items. I did tell her she should have purchased a Haynes or Chiltons. Oh well, That may one of the reasons why she's the EX.
I'm still LMAO

Old 12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GarArnett
Problem is, you can sell your book, CD, shop manual etc. to anyone legally, if it was purchased legally. But if you copy it for anything other than personal archival use, it becomes illegal. Hard for ebay to regulate. H-D, by stopping use of their name for any listing, would set a bad precident for all of ebay, meaning all manufacturers would then look into stopping it.
I wouldn't want to see Harley restrict the use of their name. My point was that the Sellers of the PDF manuals aren't hiding and it would seem that HD's legal staff could easily locate and stop them. Maybe it's easier said then done.

Quick Reply: Just a warning