Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

license

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Monstead

That issue at Ft. Hood was because 1. the Road Capt for that honor mission did not properly or did not have time prepare as it may have been a short notice. Normally they would have everyone's name on a list and will give it to base authorities. All they require is proper riding attire. i.e. long sleeve shirt or jacket, over the ankle boots, helmet, full finger gloves and reflective vest or belt 2. The gate guard by Army policy is not suppose to ask for an MSF card only a picture ID with a visitor pass which the Road Capt is suppose to acquire ahead of time.

Last edited by DrPlastic; 12-30-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:03 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Got mine in 63' because my Dad didn't like me riding a hardtail panhead I built from box's of parts. He figured I was bound to run into somebody as I only had a rear brake. Ah the memories of the good life.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:38 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I have had mine since 1974! Got it when I turned 18 and could ride something bigger than a 150cc on the road. (IL has, or had a rule when you were 16-18 you couldn't ride anything bigger,, don't know if it's still that way or not.)
Never let it go since,,,
I do have a funny story about the MO. License office, and a large woman inspector when I got my MO. license.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 AM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in 64' I heard that the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts needed money. So being 16 years old I hustled down to the Registry of Motor Vehicles to do my part. So I shows up on my Honda Cub 50, the old lady behiend the counters asks if I know how to ride and I proudly shows her the Cub 50 out side. She says $2.00 please and I get a piece paper that says license on it. So I ride for about 12 years on and off. Spin forward 30 years and I want to get back into riding. They now make me take the MSF. Never give it up........EVER!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The Old Man
Back in 64' I heard that the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts needed money. So being 16 years old I hustled down to the Registry of Motor Vehicles to do my part. So I shows up on my Honda Cub 50, the old lady behiend the counters asks if I know how to ride and I proudly shows her the Cub 50 out side. She says $2.00 please and I get a piece paper that says license on it. So I ride for about 12 years on and off. Spin forward 30 years and I want to get back into riding. They now make me take the MSF. Never give it up........EVER!
Pretty much the same story for me. I don't want to get political here, but I think from all these post, you can see what's taking place. States are imposing tighter restrictions. I'm afraid what's coming next is bikes that come from the factory with cat's are going to be inspected. If you don't have them on, you will be fined and have reinstall them. One of the reason's when I recently sold my 09 EGC, I looked hard at an 2010 Ultra Limited. I wanted ABS plus the goodies that comes with an Ultra Classic. I didn't like the crossover pipe running underneath on the 09. I settled for what I think is the prettiest Harley bar none....08 105th anni. UC

Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 AM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I settled for what I think is the prettiest Harley bar none....08 105th anni. UC
you have issues I think, seek help immediately....LOL

Old 12-30-2009, 09:42 AM
GarArnett
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my moto-permit when I got my first bike in 3/87, I was 18. renewed it every 6 mos., since I could never make it to the test site on the day the road test was given. Did that for probably 5-6 years. When I transferred my lic. to TN, I discovered TN did not have a permit for moto, so I went and got the full endorsement. Then again it was easier there, since you could just show up any day instead of call ahead and schedule for the 2 days per month it was given in my home town in KY.

In KY, violation of any law, including no lic. or M/C endorsement and being involved in an accident, if you are sued you can have a summary judgment entered against you for fault, then they just go to trial on damages. Since no lic is a way for your insurance co. to deny coverage, they get out of paying the liability, and you could be stuck with the judgment.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I know several people who ride without the proper endorsement. Many of them don't have insurance or registration either. I really don't understand that, but it is their business. To me it's not worth the worry and the consequences of getting caught.

Some of them go as far as going out of state to buy the bike. They don't pay sales tax that way. You are supposed to pay the sales tax in Illinois when you register the bike. Instead, they just put the plate from the last legally registered bike they owned on the new one and keep renewing the liscence plates from a bike they haven't even owned for years and putting the sticker on the plate.

But keep in mind these guys are always one step from bankruptcy and everything they own being repossed. I guess if you really don't have anything to loose, it's easier to gamble all you have away.

Dennis

Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 AM
GarArnett
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rochkes
I know several people who ride without the proper endorsement. Many of them don't have insurance or registration either. I really don't understand that, but it is their business. To me it's not worth the worry and the consequences of getting caught.

Some of them go as far as going out of state to buy the bike. They don't pay sales tax that way. You are supposed to pay the sales tax in Illinois when you register the bike. Instead, they just put the plate from the last legally registered bike they owned on the new one and keep renewing the liscence plates from a bike they haven't even owned for years and putting the sticker on the plate.

But keep in mind these guys are always one step from bankruptcy and everything they own being repossed. I guess if you really don't have anything to loose, it's easier to gamble all you have away.

Dennis
Exactly why we all need all the underinsured and uninsured coverage we can afford to buy on our own policies.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Here in Illinois, underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage is required. I have no doubt I would pay for it even if it wasn't required.

Dennis

Quick Reply: license