Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Road Glide to Ultra Conversion - Tech and Parts Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:41 AM
HEMSPLT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Road Glide to Ultra Conversion - Tech and Parts Questions

Please don’t ask me to use the search function. I have worn that link out and still have a few questions. I have the service manual, parts manual, electrical manual, and 2010 HD P&A catalog as well as all of the .pdf files I could get from HD’s web site. I just sold my 02 Ultra to my Dad, so I have experience with an Ultra.

I’m working on converting my 08 Road Glide to an Ultra Road Glide. I will install the color matched Road Glide Ultra Tour-Pak, rear speaker pods, CB, and Intercom. Some of the work and parts are pretty straightforward but I'm hitting road blocks on a few things. Looks matter to me but my overriding concern is for function and comfort on the long trips. Thank you in advance for whatever help you can give me.

My wife and I always ride with full face helmets and use headsets. I rarely use the speakers but want to add the pods, a little for looks, but mostly so my wife has her controls in the back. I purchased the bike new with the rider’s console pod and audio harness, so I am only concerned about the passenger connections. I’d would much rather buy the Hogtunes setup but the passenger controls in the pods are more important to me than great speakers. From what I’ve read, Harley seems to be the only company that offers the controls in the pods. Can someone confirm to me that I need Audio Harness 70160-08 to interface between the radio and passenger headset, rear speakers, CB, etc?

I'm going with a rigid setup. I had an Ultra for eight years and never had the desire to take the tour-pak off and doubt that I ever will in the future. I will use it all the time. I’m not sure of everything I need to mount the Tour-Pak to the bike. I need to set it back at least two inches from stock for comfort. I know George Anderson sells a great kit but I had the Kury extended bar on my Ultra and it worked fine. I also don’t want to spend money on the top support bar and then George’s kit, if I can just buy an extended bar. Anyone have any advice on mounting the Tour-Pak to the bike with and extended setup without spending money I don’t have to?

I'm also unsure of the Tour-Pak mounting hardware. I keep seeing the Rigid Mount Rack (53118-98) mentioned but can’t find it on the HD web site or in any of my books. Do I need to order all of the spacers, bolts, nuts, etc. as depicted for the Ultra in the parts manual? Also, will I need the Ultra license plate holder? I don’t think the Road Glide holder will work. What else do I need?

Does the color matched Road Glide Ultra Tour-Pak come with latches and hinges? With Harley I hate to assume anything when it comes to hardware. I know I need to order the lock assembly that matches my key. I am also going with premium hinges, short HD antennas, and a luggage rack. Can anyone think of anything else I need for the Tour-Pak?
For the CB/Intercom, other than the above mentioned audio harness that runs to the back of the bike, is the CB module the only other thing I need?

I have the HK radio and know I will need it flashed. Is there a separate flash for the rear speaker fader control, CB, and Intercom or is there one flash for all of it? Does it matter whether the flash is performed before or after installation of everything else?
I believe I read that newer Ultras have a factory amp installed in the back. Is there any advantage to having an amp for using headsets? I don’t mind spending money on my Harley but don’t want to waste it either.

Does the passenger backrest come with the hardware kit or do I need to order one? The part number I have is 52395-06A for the hardware kit, if needed. Does this look right?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate all of the efforts members have gone through to post information on this topic. It was a big help. I’ll make a separate post of my conversion when it's complete.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:52 PM
HEMSPLT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?