Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 road glide, good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:15 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

The biggest problem with owning a Road Glide is finding the right windshield.
You want it to look good (cool) but perform well. If you have just come off of a Batwing bike it could be a chore finding the same level of wind protection you're used too.

A lot of Road Glide owners add Lowers to help block the high speed wind that comes around the fairing and hits you in the knees. Not Cheap. The bike you are looking at already has these...so bonus!

You will not find a better handling big Harley Davidson tourer in my opinion. The Road Glide (if you can get past the looks) is the best of the best in my opinion. The 09 with the new frame and combined with the RG fairing makes for an awesome bike. I've owned 4 Batwing bikes. Loved them all, but none were as fun as the RG I now own. It's like a big sportbike... I get a little more air than I used to have on my batwing bikes but this bike is 2x the Fun.

Back to your "deal"... yeah thats a good price. I would ask that it be the Out-The-Door price and go with that if they will.

Back to windshields; I'm currently running a Windvest 12". I'm 5'9" with a 29" inseam. My seat is 2-3" lower than stock. It's working for me today. In the summer I plan to run my 10" windvest for a little more air.
Here is what the 12 looks like:

Here is a comparison on the difference in the 10 and 12. As the windshield gets shorter the cooler the bike looks IMHO.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck with your purchase.

lp

Last edited by lp; 12-28-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2009 | 09:35 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea, I like the shorter windshield on there. (I have seen them with little 6" or so on them) They even look pretty cool, (not sure how good they work with those! LOL)

Old 12-28-2009 | 09:45 AM
Okiephillip
Advanced

CornKing

Price sounds right you will appreciate the Full size tour pack. I would look into getting the CB/Intercom added to it. For me those monster ovals would have to go.

Back in April 07, I rented an 07 RG in Arizona for three days and was amazed by the handling, and ride. Currently have an 05 RG with a king size tour pack and soon to have a Cobra 75 CB too.

Let us know if you get it.

Old 12-28-2009 | 10:14 AM
cornking
|
Tourer

thanks for the input guys. i think i am going to make a run at this bike, i will keep you posted. i havea set of rhineharts on my RKC that i could put on yhis bike. glad it has all the accesories, cause if i get it i see a chrome front end and painted inner fairing in my future. keep the comments coming. what about radio mods, any i should be looking for? thanks again>

Old 12-28-2009 | 10:29 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Sounds like a good deal on the '09 RG.
I think you will like the taller shocks that the '09 has over the '10.
That bike is set up ready to tour.

lp..........pics of your RG are DAM SWEET!!!!!

Old 12-28-2009 | 11:08 AM
rogerfromco
Road Master

I went from an 03 deuce to an 09 RG. The duece was lowered at the factory and rode pretty good, but pot holes were a nightmare. When I rented an 08 RG in Phoenix last year, I was hooked!

The 09 RG I bought handles great in the curves and is great on the highway too. Going to get the stock seat worked on this winter cause it's a little too hard for 300+ mile days, and like others said, you'll need to find a windshield that works for you - call John at Clearview and he'll help you with the right fit (he sells blems at 20% off and you'll be hard pressed to find the blem).

As for the price, it sounds like a good deal based on the accessories. Post pics when you get it.