Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Buffeting....?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:39 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Helmet Buffeting....?

I used to have that helmet buffeting years ago and then conducted some non-scientific experiments by wearing a 1/2 helmet and no helmet. Buffeting reduced significantly or eliminated. So I rarely wear a helmet now. Sounds crazy but I'm telling you, full faced helmets cause a lot of that buffeting in my opinion. Like others have suggested, go with a 3/4 or better yet a halfsie.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:00 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets me know that Im riding on a bike !!! Love it!~!

Old 07-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ekimrk

I had the fork mounted wind deflectors on my RK and when i had the 103ci done i took them off thinking the increased wind flow would keep the engine cooler. Well the temp didnt change any but it sure beat the heck out of me and i realized why i had put them on to begin with. I put them back on and all is well...i ride with a ball cap on at up to 65 mph, after that it comes off. Very little buffeting with them on.

Mike
03 RoadKing 103ci
White Pearl
Yeah, I have a short detachable WS on my Custom. I put the chrome lowers on, figuring I'd take them off in warmer weather. They are still on -- I've learned to love 'em. I've seen bugs periodically hover in the dead-air space. All buffeting is gone. I'm turning into a wuss....!

Old 07-17-2006, 08:15 PM
billk
Road Master

Thanks for the replies. Especially interested in 'Mike' & 'Gunkholes' responses, since I am not excited about a taller windshield. With the HD fork deflectors did this seem to help 'helmet buffeting'? And yes, it does make it harder to read the signs...kinda strange constant moving all around that gives me a headache and makes me feel like I'm dizzy (here it comes).

Again, thanks for the replies and keep them coming....I don't wan't to end up with a 'batman' looking vest or a Flash Gordon Helmet.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Motor Squad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself and my co-workers had the same problem when we had our Shoei helmets. We went ahead and bought the Super Seer helmets and noticed immediate results. I just ordered 2 more, one for the wife and another for my personal bike. The Super Seers have a rear strap that keeps the helmet from wanting to "float" off your head and to keep it from choking you with the chin strap. Several different interior options as well. The helmets are so aerodynamic that I have worn it up to 80 mph without it strapped on and no problems (had to catch that speeder ) Best $235 worth of insurance I ever bought.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:56 AM
MDMYMD
Road Captain

Any more input on the fork mounted wind deflectors? Functional or just more chrome?

Old 07-18-2006, 08:38 AM
sporty12
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: billk

...I get quite a bit of helmet buffeting...
I prefer Jimmy Buffetting. [sm=smiley2.gif]
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Russ

Old 07-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Bigfoot
Tourer

ORIGINAL: MDMYMD

Any more input on the fork mounted wind deflectors? Functional or just more chrome?
I would like to hear more about these too....

Old 07-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh yeah, they work. They look kinda wonky, but in this case, I settle for function over style.

I bought a windscreen for my RK custom and I about pitched it in the trash. I could not stand the buffenting, and the feeling that I had a leaf blower sitting in my lap, blowing up at my face. In desparation, I bought the wind deflectors, and now the buffeting is absolutly zero with my feet on the floorboards and very little with them out on the hiway pegs. I actually get more buffet in my truck with the windows down.

definatly worth having...

Tim

Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 PM
denied
Intermediate

I have one on my street glide and feel it make a difference in wind hitting me in the face.

Quick Reply: Helmet Buffeting....?