Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trickle charging a 2009 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 04:03 PM
dbehrens68
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trickle charging a 2009 FLHX

Last week, my dad and I attached a trickle charger to the battery (while keeping it in the bike) for the winter. In order to get to the positive terminal, we had to remove the seat and reorganize some wiring harnesses. It's since occured to me there's the possibility of an easier means. Is there a supplementarly positive terminal I'm not aware of for battery charging? I appoligize for the elementary question, but this is my first harley and I know there's plenty of folks on here who know the answer. Thanks!

Old 12-26-2009, 04:11 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2008 Ultra has a open charging connection on the right side, hidden near the front of the right cover, behind the passenger floorboard when it's up. Not sure about your bike though...

Old 12-26-2009, 04:17 PM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

The usual approach is to install a pigtail directly to the battery, which is then run down along the frame in front of the right side cover (don't know if that's what the last poster meant.) This pigtail ends in what is called an "SAE" connector that mates with a connector to a Battery Tender, or, presumably, some other type of low-current charger or maintainer.

Many Harley dealers install the pigtail when the bikes are new and sell them that way, which makes it very easy to connect a Battery Tender (which I would recommend rather than a common trickle charger, since it will not overcharge a battery and can be left connected for long periods.)

Old 12-26-2009, 05:01 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by cookiemech
The usual approach is to install a pigtail directly to the battery, which is then run down along the frame in front of the right side cover (don't know if that's what the last poster meant.) This pigtail ends in what is called an "SAE" connector that mates with a connector to a Battery Tender, or, presumably, some other type of low-current charger or maintainer.

Many Harley dealers install the pigtail when the bikes are new and sell them that way, which makes it very easy to connect a Battery Tender (which I would recommend rather than a common trickle charger, since it will not overcharge a battery and can be left connected for long periods.)
+1 what he said..... forget the trickle charger.... buy a tender... of other such units.....

Old 12-26-2009, 05:37 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cookiemech
Many Harley dealers install the pigtail when the bikes are new and sell them that way, which makes it very easy to connect a Battery Tender
Yep,mine was.

I think the pigtail is included with the Tender.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:54 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Yes, go with a battery tender, forget the charger.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by twodollarbill
Yes, go with a battery tender, forget the charger.
Battery Tender! Once installed there is nothing else to think about. Comes with the pigtail and fuse so its completely safe. I ride year round and still have one on every bike ive owned.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:18 PM
dklanecky
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another vote for the Battery Tender, this is the model I have and this is a pretty good price too...........

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B00068XCQU